Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am wanting to add a 955 Daytona to the garage soon and it will sit next to my 2004 955 Sprint ST which I will keep for my two up riding.

I am wanting to know which model is best. I know the '05 had improvements and the last one made in '06 was the same with no real changes.

Did the Daytona 955 get an engine upgrade in 2002 the same as the Sprint? I assume it did as there were several improvements then.

I want the bike for sports riding which is all I do anyway and I live near many excellent Mountain roads.

Your input is appreciated so thanks in advance.:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveM, The best of the D955i breed, IMHO is the DSSA '02.

Brad
Yes thanks for that reply Brad but why do you say this?

Why do you think it is better than say an '04 or '05/'06 and can some one tell me which years have SSSA and which have DSSA?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
Only the 02 non-centennial is a DSSA. Centennial & all 03+ are SSSA
Return to SSSA was from outcry from styling perspective (have to agree and doubt you'll notice the difference)
That DSSA Swing Arm is lighter and taller at the rear so the steering is more aggressive. That's pretty much only difference between that & all others through 04.

The engine generation for all the triples changed in 2002 model year but the Daytona is the big winner in the HP stakes.

Reportedly improved transmission in 2006 models. Swing arm slightly different - probably same as the S3 1050.
Slight changes in body styling & frame colours - that's pretty much only other change.

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/daytona/

·
Registered
692 Posts
DaveM,

Below I repeat a thread that I started 2-3 months ago. This will give you some information on different years that may assist in your decision:

Some 955i reviews & tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed a few threads from prospective 955i owners for information regarding the 955i. Should they buy, what about reliability, differences between model years etc. Some internet searching would provide some answers, or just entertaining reading for current owners. I thought that I would post some of my favorate reviews and tests that I have read. This likely rehashes material that current owners have read, but may be new and informative reading for the prospective owner. Please add to this list any other interesting reviews or tests that you have come across. On the first article below you need to "page down" to page 3 to see the 955i test.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/887/attachments/daytona 955i 3.pdf

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Triumph/Triumph-Daytona-955i-2001-current/?&R=EPI-374

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/776/attachments/2003 ZX9R.pdf

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0202_triumph_daytona_955i/photo_04.html

http://www1.epinions.com/review/2002_Triumph_Daytona_955i/content_391052234372

For specifications click on the year 955i you want:

http://www.bikez.com/brand/triumph_motorcycles.php

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ken and John.

Ken that link was very useful thanks and your condensed summing up.:)

Huh John I couldn't get your first four links to work for some reason.

Guess what?

I didn't do a search!

Oh no!!!!!:swoon:

Much obliged for all the replies and thanks for the links JohnD:)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
DaveM, To add to DEcosse's reply...from time to time I'll have a '02 DSSA in the garage. Having ridden it a few times it's a lighter, more responsive handler than my '04 particularly in transition.

The difference isn't all that much, but note worthy.

Brad

·
Registered
611 Posts
[Guess what?

I didn't do a search!

Oh no!!!!!:swoon:

DaveM:cool:[/quote]

:eek: Dave, say it ain't so!!!
I had a 2002 Daytona 955i single swing arm model. I loved this bike and would still have it it wasn't for a speedo issue. I tried some of the suggestions on the Daytona forum and it did not cure the problem. I had a new sensor installed and that didn't fix it either. I traded for my Sprint in June of 07. I miss the Daytonna and want to get another one one of these days. The bike I feel handled great.
Good luck on finding your next bike.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
DEcosse, I tried that and it did not solve the problem.
Well, unfortunately you're dependent on confidence that your dealer uploaded the correct tune because they told you they did - the two common issues are the sender magnet broken but especially on an '02, the speedo error check function.
In your case I would put a LOT of money on the latter, especially as your sender had been replaced (although even if it hadn't would still go with the tune).
If the 'new' tune didn't fix it, then I'd be looking at the dealer who isupposedly nstalled it as the issue.
I know that sounds arrogant, but this is/was such a profound issue I am confident of its cause. Many dealers were simply unaware of the problem from their limited exposure to it. It is extremely well documented throughout this forum on both the Daytona and Speed Triple sub-forums.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, just to assure any other potential buyers that this was a common problem but easily resolved if symptoms recognized by a competent knowledgable technician.

·
Registered
120 Posts
DaveM,
Take my opinions with a grain of salt but there may be some useful information here for you.
I did quite a bit of research myself, mostly after making my purchase. Here is what I find significant. There were many engine changes in 2002. The only thing that seems to be the same is that the displacement is still 955 and it is still a triple. If you are interested in Hours power go with 2002 or later. Some strongly prefer the styling of the pre 2002 model but though it has plenty of power, significantly less than the ’02 and later.
Anything for engine from 2002 to the end of days in 2006 is pretty much the same. In 2002 there was a Centennial Edition available with forged rather than cast engine components. This (arguably on this forum it seems) makes the engine a bit lighter and stronger. The 2002 CE also had some styling differences like carbon fiber panel fills, a single sided swing arm and a 190 in the rear. It is ever so slightly longer too. There were again styling changes to the plastics only in 2005 with a split headlight, more aggressive (stealthier) front faring and slimmer tail section. The frame went black too. (Editorial-the all black limited edition is sweet).

No matter what you get for a Daytona 955 you can’t go wrong. If I were to do it all again, I would only consider the 2002 CE or the limited edition all black. To me they are both standouts.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
... In 2002 there was a Centennial Edition available with forged rather than cast engine components.
Looks like you got this from Wikipedia - This just not true - engine is identical whether Centennial or otherwise.
And all 02+ Daytonas have forged pistons & shot-peened rods and nikasil liners.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~speed4/bikes/CCMN_2002_Triumph_Daytona.htm

...A lot of the work was done to the cylinder head- inlet valves are 1mm larger and exhaust valves are 1mm smaller. The now CNC-machined head (to maintain better and more consistent tolerances) has redesigned intake and exhaust ports. New forged pistons run on lighter connecting rods....
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0202_triumph_daytona_955i/index.html

... a redesigned CNC-machined cylinder head featuring 1mm larger intake and 1mm smaller exhaust valves sitting at a narrow 23-degree included valve angle. New forged-aluminum pistons force a 12.0:1 compression ratio (over the previous 11.2:1 ratio), sitting atop stronger carburized connecting rods and a lighter crankshaft.....

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again guys and especially you Ken, great information...........I expected no less of course:D

I will look for an '02 or up, either swing arm configuration is ok with me but prefer the sexier looking SSSA of my '04 Sprint which is not going anywhere by the way!:)

thanks all of you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
DEcosse,

Yes Wikipedia is the source for that portion. It may be inaccurate. DEcosse,

I have learned to trust this forum more than what I read out there because this is based on experience. Just so you know where I pulled the information from. Wikipedia reads:
In 2002 a limited-production Centennial Edition (CE) Daytona 955i was offered. The 955i CE had several noteworthy additions to and differences from the non-CE '02 DSSA Daytona 955i:
• One color option of Aston (British Racing) Green, which was offered only on the 2002 955i Centennial Edition.
• Carbon fiber inlaid panels between the gas tank and tail fairing.
• Carbon fiber rear wheel hugger.
• Single-sided swing arm (like the previous and later Daytona 955i).
• Forged steel crankshaft, forged steel connecting rods, and forged aluminum pistons; non-CE 955i engines had cast versions of these components. These engine components are the most distinctive CE-specific options, and increased the maximum power output significantly compared to the cast-component engines.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
... These engine components are the most distinctive CE-specific options, and increased the maximum power output significantly compared to the cast-component engines.
Again all 02+ 955 Daytona have same peak power output - whoever wrote that is just plain wrong.

Incidentally, just look in the parts fiche and try to find those 'different' part numbers for the crank, rods & pistons for the CE Edition :rolleyes:

(however compare all years Daytona 02-06 with the S3 (02-04) and you will see the differences between those models of the crank, liner, pistons & rods)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
DaveM, Of the SSSA '02> D955is, the CE is the most sought after, quite beautiful in person. The pillion cowl is also the more attractive (IMHO), more like the earlier T595/D955i. The '04> cowls are much shorter in profile, possibly to match the shorter OEM windscreen.

Let us know what you find.

Brad

PS Of any motorcycle I've owned, there's more misinformation regarding the Triumphs and sadly some dealerships aren't much help.

PPS The three Daytonas:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Web sites now working

I corrected the problem in my post on page 1. The web sites showing reviews of 955i's will now come up with a "click".

Don't know what went wrong. My original thread "Some 955i reviews & tests" that had this info still worked, but when I copy and pasted it to this thread the web sites would not come up. I just redid the copy and paste for each site and works fine now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did some blackbook value research and this is what I came up with for the 2002 955i's. The limited edition CE in mint condition will be worth 5800 US$, while the regular 02's are 5540 US$. Not a huge difference, but at least if you went with a CE you would probably have more bargaining power if you tried to sell it.

But I'll say another thing, these prices have gone up. When I bought mine in March 08 (non CE '02), I paid approx 4800 US$ and it was mint with 9000 km. I'm sure it had a few more than that if you factor in the speedo problem. Also, the fact that the guy was crying as I pulled out of his driveway with it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that it was a good deal.

Here is something interesting, I ran the numbers for an '05 955i, and in mint condition it's worth about 6500 US$. I thought it would be more than that. And the prices for 955s from '99 to '01 are about 1000 less on average than the '02s. The old ones seem to be holding their value.

Please keep in mind that these are retail prices and I found them at CBBtrader.ca and did the exchange to US$. If anyone has the bb prices from an American website and they are different please go ahead and correct mine, as the ones I posted here are based on Canadian values. I guess realistically a guy would have to go and see what they are actually selling for on Craigslist or Ebay.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts