Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my clutch is on the way out (S3) - the symptoms are there! EBC does a kit for about $75(excluding springs) and Barnett has one too - not sure of the price there - anyone got a preference or experience with either of these ? Much obliged. :razz:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Barnett has been in the clutch building business for over 30 years. They do much more than just a set of plates and friction plates. I don't think there is much to compare between the two offerings. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the EBC, but the expertise is definitely at Barnett! They have the springs too!

There is a guy on E-Bay selling clutch kits too.....at least he admits (somewhere) that they are made in China. The OEM may be made in China for all we know today!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had replace the clutch on my T595 and I used the Barnett setup. I went together simply and works perfectly. I had replaced it about six months earlier with the ones from Ebay for ( $40.00 ) and they are true *****. I had some of the friction material separate from the backing and work alot of bits into the sump. I found the bit on the second oil change. The Barnett is fine and is at about nine months and about 8500 miles or so.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
trypcil,
I replaced the clutch in my '96 D12 with Barnett plates and springs. My clutch was pretty worn out and the new pieces are quite an improvement over stock (in my opinion). The Barnett springs are heavier duty so you'll end up with a slightly stiffer clutch but I think it has better feel than before.
It's a pretty straight forward procedure, take cover off, take old parts out, replace with new parts. You'll need a new side cover gasket and you'll have to change the oil as well. I went ahead and replaced the steel plates and the friction plates.
You might want to replace the anti-jutter plate too (Triumph only part) as the rivets become loose and since you'll be in there already you might as well. The whole job cost me around $250.00 (not including the oil & filter change) and I did all the labor myself.

Hope this helps.

clutch replacement photos

dc

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-01-15 21:34 ]

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barnet it is - and thank you all. Yikes, and i was thinking of the ebay clutch as well.... glad I didn't think too much. Now i'll have to wait 6 weeks for the anti-judder plate to come. :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts