Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/ToneintFens/media8.jpg

Hi, I'm in the pleasant position of attempting to decide between a white 2008 ex-demo 1050 Trip (£5990), ex-demo Street Trip R with a couple of custom bits (belly pan, etc £5700), or the custom 2000 Jack Lilley Special, 9000 miles (£3990); as a 2nd bike. Oh the agony.

For sensible stuff I use a Tiger.

Does anyone know anything about this J. Lilley bike?

What would you go for? - I'm extremely grateful for any advice.
Tone

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's a little busy for my taste but I think it has more character than the other two you listed. (way more unique)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would have no problem buying exdemo. In fact my Tiger was,albeit only 350 miles when I bought it. Now with 20,000 and still like new. I think it is very hard to thrash a litre engine,and in any case most people interesred in Triumph bikes are not idiots. The 08 is a good price,and whilst the special is downto taste if you like it then that's all that matters. I run a Tiger and Speed Triple and they compliment one another as they are very different. Take a test ride although this is hardly the time of year. 675R would be very different although it is much smaller and lighter than a Speedy so it depends how it fits you. As you say,you are in a lucky position so go ahead and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like the Speed then, err maybe

Thanks, that helps.

Just about all the family vehicles, company vans and bikes are ex-demos, clinging desperately to wood here, I've never had a problem with any of them and
must've saved £ks over the years.

I do tend to prefer my bikes to be understated, and depite the uniqueness of the 955 (& the fact I have all the tools for it), it is a bit "busy". It's also over 200 miles away, which is a long way in the UK!

I'll sleep on it and venture forth in the morn; I've given myself the day to pick a bike; it's going to be arduous. I've always loved the 1050 Speed. I recall a mag's comment when Ducati unveiled the 998 - "...this is the bike that says "**** off" to everyone", I remembered the comment when I first saw the last triple. This bike was initially going to be a winter hack, looks like the Tiger may take that place. Thanks again.

PS How do you post the image & not the tag?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Since you have a Tiger, why not get the bike that is the most opposite of what your currently ride? I don't see a bad choice in the three.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I rode the Street Triple R and Speed Trip back to back, had a great morning and I was reminded of how good the Speed is.

I bought the Speed, so can I stay?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That bike, a Speed Triple, is a normal one, fitted with some accessories made by a italian factory, no longer available...
but was amazing well done, all that was made in aluminium and painted in the codes color of Triumph factory ( if you wanna ! ):)
That products was found in the early editions (1998) of The Trident ( JL magazine ).:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts