Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - time for a new battery for my '65 TR6SR. It is all stock except for a Boyer. I'm looking to see which AGM battery you folks would recommend. Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
I run a YTX7L-BS in mine and it works great! It's a fairly expensive little battery, but seems to do the job well. There are lots of other batteries which will fit in that battery box and some with even more amperage capability ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Electronics is not my strong suit, so I appreciate it. A question - I found two batteries that would fit, with one being 8AH and the other being 10AH. Is there such a thing as having too much AH?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
AH is a measure of the work the battery can do. So you want the highest AH that can fit in the battery box. Now, there are a lot of batteries that fit the sides well, but are too tall. Remember that the seat pan is metal, so you want to stay well away from that with your battery terminals.

There are 2 types of batteries: those that give up current fast for electric starters, and those that give up power slowly for longer life. Since your bike doesn't have an E-start, you want the latter. You can easily spot these by their very small terminals. They go by common names such as "deep cycle", and "emergency backup". This type typically needs much less maintenance and has a longer life.

Another measure of batteries is Cold Cranking Amps. Obviously that an indicator of E-start capability, and definitely the wrong kind of battery.

7AH is adequate (as per stock). 8AH is great! 10AH is fabulous !!

;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gamba for the info. I picked up a 8ah battery the same size as a YTX7L-BS. The battery will squeeze right into the box but gets stopped by the nuts inside the left cover. It is quite short, and I still have plenty of clearance with the seat (the inside of my seat above the battery is coated with a foam rubber pad). I assume I can just make a platform for the battery so it doesn't rest on the nuts?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I assume I can just make a platform for the battery so it doesn't rest on the nuts?
Exactly... Because my new battery was smaller then the battery box I made a cardboard box wrapped in black duck tape. Be sure to use foam around the battery to pad it from vibration. Batteries don't like vibration - shortens their life

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a battery for my 72 from batterystuff.com. It arrived in 3 days from Oregon. No tax, free shipping. AGM battery for $23. Couldn't find the listing for Triumph, so I looked up BSA for 72 and checked the measurements.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Xt7l-b

Hey Guys - time for a new battery for my '65 TR6SR. It is all stock except for a Boyer. I'm looking to see which AGM battery you folks would recommend. Thanks
I picked up an AGM battery on the road at Batteries Plus. 8 amp hours 124 CCA number XT7L-B. or 6ah 85 cca # XTAX7L-BS I can't find what I paid 2 years ago. Yuasa is easy to find, but before I went to electronic charging, I thought they were unreliable. Now I think it was my old voltage regulator system. I think Interstate makes one too. It's so nice to have options these days. The Batteries Plus unit says it withstands vibration. Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did try that one at Batteries Plus - it was the one that would fit, but not quite right. It would not have completely sat down in the battery pan. I like things perfect, so I took it back and went all over the Twin Cities area looking for a battery. Could have gotten a conventional one, but I wanted an AGM. Went online to Scorpion Battery and they had a 9AH AGM battery that was the proper dimension. I have a Power Sonic in my '67 Trophy, #12N9-4B-1 which I've had no problems with. I went on their website to get another for the '65, but couldn't find that model or a similar one with the same dimensions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Since I was in need of a battery as well.

I found these to work.

Each is 5AH wired in parallel giving me 10AH the size is perfect in the battery tray of a '71 T100C. Siliconed them together so there would be no movement.

If you search the power-sonic website for the above model it will tell you exact sizing as well as lots of other technical info.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wrong term, I believe it is called "parallel wiring"

Thanks for pointing that out.

The positive and negative for each battery are connected together and then connected to the perspective + an - on the bikes harness.

Each battery is 12 volt and 5AH, by joining them together you achieve 12 volt but 10 AH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts