Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have the regular tender but leave it on my Nighthawk as the Streety doesn't seem to need tending after the new MOSFET RR and I ride everyday.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another option

I picked up one of these last week:

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026717

It seems to work as advertised. Like most of the others, it has a removable pigtail that stays attached to my battery and exits under the front of the seat with a waterproof cap. It also has separate charging clamps, which I used to charge my dead-as-a-doornail lawn tractor battery this weekend. Hard to beat for the price... Wal-Mart has them for under $20. AutoZone carries them too.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I actively tell people to avoid the Battery Tender brand. They are maintenance chargers and even the big one is barely able to charge a dead battery. I do recommend the Accumate or Optimate brand chargers.
+1 on that recommendation. I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately. But I have since replaced the battery tender with the Optimate 4 Dual Program unit.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts

"The G7200 is a smart, 12 Step, fully automatic switch-mode battery charger and maintainer. The G7200 restores batteries to their original capacity, recovers slightly sulfated batteries, charges batteries in cold climates, rescues drained batteries, and provides maintenance charging to increase battery life. A powerful battery charger with specialized charging modes for recovering severely drained batteries that will not accept a normal charge. Suitable for most 12V and 24V battery capacities from 14-230Ah, such as Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, Jet Skis, Cars, RVs, Boats and Trucks."

I like it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you are looking for a battery tender then the Jr. is just fine and will help to prevent any sulfination of the battery while you have it attached. If you need a battery charger there are different choices. But if you do opt for a charger make sure you understand if it can be used for battery maintenance once the battery is charged, some cannot.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Except it says right in that sales blurb that it's not designed for our bikes. It says 14ah minimum which tells me it will not charge at a low enough rate to maintain our batteries correctly once they are charged.
They have a model that charges in the 1.2-120Ah range. Is that low enough?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I checked with the manufacturer. The smaller unit (model G3500) has a "large" battery mode and a "small" battery mode. In small battery mode the maximum output is 0.9 amps, which is probably close enough.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a yuasa brand one. It worked well for a couple years but now it does no light up (probably dont work). I think it is rated at 750 ma. Optimate are really nice but expensive and most likley have to be ordered. Look at Bike Master (tucker rocky) they have some really nice stuff for a good price.

http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg

Not sure if this model will let you use a pig tail disconnect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it necessary to disconnect/remove the battery from the bike before connecting the trickle charger?

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
I use an Optimate 3, I have a Daytona 955 and a Sprint GT, when I am not riding one the tender is plugged in.

I have had it for a couple of years now and am very happy with the results.

My preference at the moment is the Deka Gelmat batteries but for my Daytona when the Deka dies it will be a lightweight Shorai.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.