Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been hunting around for a complete Hinkley Bonneville headlight for a while now to put on my Scrambler. I've listed on the Wanted Classified section here but that post moved rapidly to the sad non-bold lettered black-hole of forgotten wishes where it is still languishing unseen.

So I thought I'd try a different approach. Does anyone here know of a good motocycle salvage business or parts finder whom I could ask? I have faith that there is a headlight sitting unused somewhere.

And yes, I've priced a new one from Triumph. You would be surprised at how much they want for one. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Thanks in advance to anyone for a lead.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Does it have to be from a Bonnie? or could you just use one from a 70s Honda,which is the same size and general shape?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
There are lots of options from lots of different bikes. I ended up buying a new EMGO bucket for about $75 and then a new light assembly to fit it from Daniel Stern for about $80. Way more light.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There are lots of options from lots of different bikes. I ended up buying a new EMGO bucket for about $75 and then a new light assembly to fit it from Daniel Stern for about $80. Way more light.
Pokejoe,
I actually bought an Emgo off Ebay with a halogen headlight. I thought it was not up to the standards of the rest of the bike (not so much the pot and ring, mostly the poorly built Chinese headlight). I remember the headlight on my old Bonnie Black was pretty well built, plus I thought it would be a plug and play switch with the Scram.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've been hunting around for a complete Hinkley Bonneville headlight for a while now to put on my Scrambler. I've listed on the Wanted Classified section here but that post moved rapidly to the sad non-bold lettered black-hole of forgotten wishes where it is still languishing unseen.

So I thought I'd try a different approach. Does anyone here know of a good motocycle salvage business or parts finder whom I could ask? I have faith that there is a headlight sitting unused somewhere.

And yes, I've priced a new one from Triumph. You would be surprised at how much they want for one. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Thanks in advance to anyone for a lead.
If you check out the "buy it now" section on ebay motors - motorcycle parts and accessories - Triumph Bonneville there are three "breakers" that seem to handle Bonnies from time to time. One is in Savannah Ga. and goes by SoutheasternPowersports I believe... The other two are out of Ohio... one is, I think, Agro Cycles or something like that...

I hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Pokejoe,
I actually bought an Emgo off Ebay with a halogen headlight. I thought it was not up to the standards of the rest of the bike (not so much the pot and ring, mostly the poorly built Chinese headlight). I remember the headlight on my old Bonnie Black was pretty well built, plus I thought it would be a plug and play switch with the Scram.
I had mine powdercoated and it looks OK. It does weigh a lot less than the OEM unit, but seems to be up to the job. I couldn't get all my wire harnesses in the little hole and ended up re-routing some wires under the tank.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't get all my wire harnesses in the little hole and ended up re-routing some wires under the tank.
That's funny, Pokey, The one I bought has three LARGE holes in the bottom of the pot. It was a generic "Triumph,BSA,Norton" item. That was another turn off cause I didn't want water or debris flying up into the wiring. Since I'm griping, another issue was that the mounting bolts were bigger on the Emgo making it necessary to drill the ears on the forks. I didn't want to do that either. Might want to go back to stock light in the future.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I cracked mine last year on the highway from a rock flying up from a dump truck . I bought a new lamp from Jegs . 70$ for 2 of them. Just about any 7" halogen will fit .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've seen wire covers on Bonneville headlights before. I think someone told me they were from a mini cooper. Does anyone have this on their bike? Where did you order it from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts