Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the forum and starting work on my 1972 bonneville T140 750cc 5-speed and have no idea where to start. it has been sitting in our garage untouched for a good 10 years and is obviously all seized up. i dont know what works and what doesnt, but ive recently started cleaning it of spider webs but lost on to do next. please point me in the right direction on what to do. thank you.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go with an "overhaul". Best starting place is to get a parts manual and shop manual for your specific year (assuming the engine and frames are matched or at least the same year) I preferr the factory shop manual but many people do fine with Haynes. If it has been sitting for 10 years, the carb and tank will have to be cleaned of the gunk the gas turns into when it evaporates. If the engine is stuck, the top end might be freed up by putting some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders but it would be a better idea to at least hone the cylinders and put in some new rings, depending on what shape the cylinders are in. While you have the head off would be a good time to check the valves and guides for wear. Depending on the type of ignition, a new battery is going to be in order. Change all the oils in the engine and forks. Most folks would agree that a complete tear down with sludge trap cleaning is in the best interest of the engine but many people just do enough to "get her running" and go ride. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts