Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a craftsman metric motorcycle toolkit for bonnie. Any suggestions on an alternate kit or the best place to put said kit?

·
30,533 Posts
Welcome Chris!

There is not a lot of space around the bike to be honest. If you want to carry tools you pretty much have to use a tailbag, sidebags or change something on the bike to act as a stowage space.

There is a small space under the seat immediately behind the battery, a very small tool roll can fit in there - I think Triumph added a little tool kit to their accessory range that will fit in there. If you look on their website you can find it - there's not much in it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Put mine in me saddlebags...

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
In the garage. ;)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Tool Kit

In your back pocket OR get a $14 bar bag Tourmaster like I did. Hold a little more than tools as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cruz Toolz

I have the Cruz Toolz kit, and I keep it under the seat. It is good piece of mind if I ever run into an issue that needs to be fixed on the road.

-Rob.

·
30,533 Posts
Pull the airbox and make a nifty custom toolholder!

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/105679-basics-of-airbox-removal.html#post1226420

It's worth considering what sort of jobs you are likely to try and tackle while you are out and about. Just how much can you fix on the road, and what would you need?

For me, I carry a bottle of slime and a little compressor to fix flats in an emergency.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...table-air-compressor.html?highlight=city+bags

I check the chain regularly, and it only needs adjusting infrequently, so the need to carry the large wrenches is not really there for out and about rides.

I still have to assemble my tool kit - I am thinking simple stuff. Be able to pull the gas tank to look for loose connections, replace an indicator bulb maybe, minor stuff like that.

On a cross country tour I might take more stuff - even spare inner tubes and tyre levers.

Dunno - just thinking about what to carry without taking too much.

Cell phone and towing coverage are good peace of mind.

There are other ways of making a tool holder if you nix the airbox by the way, I have linked to them in our great source of info sticky, here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...ng-modifications-and-so-on-2.html#post1149296

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Cruz Toolz kit, and I keep it under the seat. It is good piece of mind if I ever run into an issue that needs to be fixed on the road.

-Rob.
Rob, is it the $40 one on the site? Where do you place it, on top of the battery? I noticed there's a space on the inside of the seat but no rubber strap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got plastic food container (Tupperware, methinks) that was just the right size to sit on top of the battery and cut it down. I had to cut a couple of slots so that bracketry could poke through, but can now carry all the spanners I need, full set of Allen keys, screwdrivers, pliers and home made extension for the wheel nut spanner. Perfect.

·
30,533 Posts
I'd like to see a piccie of that if possible. The box and the cut down wheel nut spanner. I was considering something like that, and would like to see what you have done.

I have this fascination for putting together a tool kit at the moment. Don't know why - just looking to see what I can put together from cheap "sales" bins in hardware stores, and compare it against a "cruz tools" kit of equivalent value.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was thinking about attaching one of those HD style tool bags to the front of the forks, but wasn't sure if the rectifier needed more airflow than that (it seems to have cooling fins on it)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where to put a tool kit.

I took the cheap option for the air box removal. Instead of buying one I cut away the plastic to allow me to fit K&N's. Only cutting away a portion of the original air box left me with the section that originaly held the air filter. It's a small space but could possibly hold a few tools if they are wrapped up.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
A couple thoughts about the last couple posts:

If you replace your stock 12 series battery with a 14, you will gain almost an inch of additional room on top (they have more capacity, too).

The stock shunt type rectifier/regulator gets very hot. it needs air. You can replace it with a MOSFET type that runs much, much cooler.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pictures for Prop

Here are some piccies of my tool tray. The tricky bit is make the front high enough so that the seat stops tools falling forward onto the battery. The axle spanner is just an old spanner of a previous mount (from back in the days when they used to supply tools) with an extension handle made form a hacksaw frame.

Reactions: Type_rider

·
30,533 Posts
I like that a lot! Good stuff! :D

I want one!

Do you leave the tools loose in it, or do you wrap them / pad them with shop towels or anything?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts