Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Dallas we have toll roads EVERYWHERE and using a toll tag is very convenient, however the new toll stickers aren't very attractive. I'm trying to think of an inconspicuous place on the bike to put it that doesn't look too bad but still can be read by the booth?

Any of you gone through this and have some suggestions?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The new sticker version.... Stick it on the front of your helmet just above your visor. No good place on the bike. Just run the toll booth and don't worry about it. :flamedude:

·
Registered
149 Posts
just like Ipass. How big is it? Could you somehow fit it in between your forks? I know with our Ipasses they can be in a car and not in direct line of sight. (even though it says they should be) If yours is the same id say mount it under the passenger seat or if you have a hugger mount it on it

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think it works like your ipass (from the way you describe) or at least not as good. The old version of the Tolltag in Texas was a chip or something contained in a credit car sized sealed plastic case. The new deal is a sticker with the chip imbeaded in. Its approx 2.5x2.5. and it needs an almose unobstructed view to register as you pass through as booth. That reminds me copba8. I'm not sure it will register facing toward the body of the helmet because the adheasive is facing the windshield so you may have cut it smaller (I dont have the "T" sticker version so I cant look at it to tell you how much but you only need the chip embeded inside to work) tou can then apply it a clear sticker cut larger so that the "T" faces out from the helmet. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think it works like your ipass (from the way you describe) or at least not as good. The old version of the Tolltag in Texas was a chip or something contained in a credit car sized sealed plastic case. The new deal is a sticker with the chip imbeaded in. Its approx 2.5x2.5. and it needs an almose unobstructed view to register as you pass through as booth. That reminds me copba8. I'm not sure it will register facing toward the body of the helmet because the adheasive is facing the windshield so you may have cut it smaller (I dont have the "T" sticker version so I cant look at it to tell you how much but you only need the chip embeded inside to work) tou can then apply it a clear sticker cut larger so that the "T" faces out from the helmet. Hope that helps.

If its a sticker toll tag like we have here in Florida then sticking it on anything EXCEPT a windshield will not work. Don't ask me how but reading up on the ones we have here the sticker uses the windshield as an antennae

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess you need to put a big grandpa wind shield on your bike copb8! :)

that or cut it down and stick it on the inside (side) of your helmets face shield.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If its a sticker toll tag like we have here in Florida then sticking it on anything EXCEPT a windshield will not work. Don't ask me how but reading up on the ones we have here the sticker uses the windshield as an antennae
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Whoever put it on sticker didn't know what he is talking about or had some other agenda (like assure that it is in highly visible place).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Whoever put it on sticker didn't know what he is talking about or had some other agenda (like assure that it is in highly visible place).
Not nonsence by SunPass's standards.

http://www.sunpass.com/MiniWebPDF_E.pdf

"INSTALLING SUNPASS MINI. SunPass Mini cannot be hand-held or moved from car to car. It must be permanently mounted to the windshield or it won’t work, because the windshield acts as an antenna. Once removed, the Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to the windshield."

·
Registered
657 Posts
"INSTALLING SUNPASS MINI. SunPass Mini cannot be hand-held or moved from car to car."
Here is the hidden agenda that I was talking about. They want you to buy this pass for every vehicle and not carry it in your pocket. This way you couldn't use it on multiple vehicles.
This is BS, you can try it when you get a new pass. This is passive RF-ID tag, and windshield (glass) cannot work as antenna.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't agree, Bohdan. These passes are typically free. You pay as you use them. You can have one or many all on the same account, so there is no reason for them to force you to have more than one if there really is not some issue.

I do agree that the windshield as an antenna is bogus, but if it is a STICKER, trying to move it from vehicle to vehicle could definitely damage it.

The TxTag works the same way, and their website says the same thing about not trying to transfer it between cars.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't agree, Bohdan. These passes are typically free. You pay as you use them. You can have one or many all on the same account, so there is no reason for them to force you to have more than one if there really is not some issue.

I do agree that the windshield as an antenna is bogus, but if it is a STICKER, trying to move it from vehicle to vehicle could definitely damage it.

The TxTag works the same way, and their website says the same thing about not trying to transfer it between cars.
OK, here is how it works in Atlanta: pass is tied to the car, so if the automatic gate fails to register ID and camera makes a photo, they can check it against the database and not issue a ticket. I have multiple passes on my account, but for each ID there is car registration number tied to it.
So maybe it is not to prevent cheating (you pay per use anyway) but to make above action possible. But requirement to have it affixed to the vehicle is still BS.
I forgotten the lately tags are free. In the beginning these were battery powered devices that I had to pay for each to get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From Tx toll tag site

Can motorcycles use TxTag stickers?
Motorcycles use a different type of TxTag than those used on cars and trucks. If you have a motorcycle, contact the TxTag Customer Service Center to request a motorcycle tag. A refundable deposit is required for motorcycle tags.

NTTA= you can still use the old style.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts