Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stock 72 tiger with boyer and tympanium. Where should I make the main ground point to the frame? Is it under the seat to the coil tray where it bolts up the frame tab? Cant remeber thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
clarification. Everything is powdercoated and putting in a brand new loom. Real question is where do I grind off the powdercoat for a good ground. Im thinking the tab where the coil tray/battery box connects to the frame tab?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
clarification. Everything is powdercoated and putting in a brand new loom. Real question is where do I grind off the powdercoat for a good ground. Im thinking the tab where the coil tray/battery box connects to the frame tab?
You should not even be thinking about using the frame as a "ground". What you need to do is create an electrical circuit that includes a direct connection from and back to the battery and eliminates the frame as a conductor. It is all explained in detail in this article about proper grounding. And, get rid of the glass springy fuse thing and replace with a modern blade fuse

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize that there will be a ground wire back to the battery but what about all the stacked ground wires on the bolt the hold the tympanium to the coil tray which is bolted to the frame tab? shouldnt that be bare metal connection or is it not necessary? All the talk about EI seems to talk about it

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bare metal connection is not necessary if the frame has been taken out of the grounding scheme. The GABMA article I provided a link to discusses the location of the Single Point Ground.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes sense. I think I have the "ground" wires sorted on the loom and see how I can commonly hook them to one post.

The article references the need to ground the engine with EI. Where is a good place to connect a ground wire to the engine?
Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I drilled and tapped the frame under the seat, but that was just a mount point...I used a 10-32 stainless stud, with a cupped washer to form to the frame, and a nut to hold it tight. I left about 3/4" of stud out, and ran a heavy wire directly to the battery + and from the same lead to the engine ( for spark plug ground). I then ran a separate ground wire for the tail light group, headlight group and the ignition (Sparx) system. I have had Zero electrical issues so far. The only hard thing was to wrap my head around was + as ground. Too many years working on Harleys and cars, I guess!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks thats great info. The headsteady bolt is the answer I was looking for. Got the battery box and coil tray in with tympanium mounted. Got my common ground stud mounted and will first run the ground to the headsteady and then its loom time.

Thanks again, I feel I can get there from here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So for the motor grounding mine is grounded to the bolt on the top of the engine off the bracket that connects engine to frame The torque stay. my ground to frame is on a bolt where the battery box connects to frame on right side of bike. Maybe this helps??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats exactly where I am setting mine up. Now Im off to find quality connectors. The PO used plastic crimpons so Im going to replace with all solder shrinkwrap setup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.