Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Air Bob, Have a look at this excellent post about installing R & G crash bungs. It would appear that these might be a better system than skyking. I don't have any installed but if I were to I would look at R & G. The post is http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/72000-r-and-g-crash-protectors-installation-walkthrough.html#post873978.
Cheers, Simmo
Thank you for posting my installation guide simmo, it means a lot to me.

And skyking sliders are crap, they'll crumple up in a heartbeat once 500lbs of Sprint comes crashing down on that L shaped bracket.

Go with R&G much more BEEFY metal to take the impact.

You can buy them at EMA USA:

http://www.ema-usa.com/

--Kory

·
Registered
441 Posts
And skyking sliders are crap, they'll crumple up in a heartbeat once 500lbs of Sprint comes crashing down on that L shaped bracket.

--Kory

Well Kory I guess it depends on what you want your sliders to do. I have the skykings to stop plastic smashing if I drop the bike in the garage. Do they work for this without bending the L bracket, yes. Will they totally protect the bike in a high speed get off, no, but then the bike is State Farms problem not mine. So it depends on what you want out of the sliders.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sky King sliders after tucking the front end at 100+. They kept the bike from being totaled. IE, engine cases where not ground through and no frame damage.

The did bend over crack the valve cover but I fixed this with some epoxy putty. Sanded and painted you you couldn’t tell.

Here is my version of Sky Kings on my 05 ST. Notice I don't have the aluminum spacer the deformed and allowed the slider to bend in my design.

http://3banger.smugmug.com/gallery/2929815_fPJUg/1/158033754_UNTeU

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I like the LSL sliders.

and the other side

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know about Sky ing but I tested my R & Gs in a low speed drop before Christmas. Apart from a small crack in the fairing where it caught the kerb stone, no damage. the end of the bars didn't even touch down, neither did the indicators. The one thing against R & G is the second slider behind the fairing right under your knee. Depends how long your legs are.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As 3bangers photo shows the bolt bent in the crash absorbing some of the energy. Which means less damage to the frame and engine casing. Sliders are cheap, plastic and metal are expensive.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Go with the R&G's.

Also, I would have liked to find the step by step instructions that tattoedredhead posted before installing because it is true that the R&G ones aren't that clear to say the least... figured it out by myself anyway, although it took me more beers... ;)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Feel free to call me if you need help installing them.

Too bad you aren't closer I'd come physically help you install them, just follow my instructions and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hope this isn't any breach of forum etiquette - I have a new in (opened) box R&G frame slider set for 05+ sprints.. I've already had my 2 (!) tip-overs in the garage before I ever had the chance to install them, so no point now.. I'll post a classified ad with pics up this weekend, but if anyone is interested in the set, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I hope this isn't any breach of forum etiquette - I have a new in (opened) box R&G frame slider set for 05+ sprints.. I've already had my 2 (!) tip-overs in the garage before I ever had the chance to install them, so no point now.. I'll post a classified ad with pics up this weekend, but if anyone is interested in the set, feel free to PM me.
DIBS OMG I GET DIBS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So there are two sliders on each side. Those look strong but I don't like the looks of two sticking out the side. I will keep looking or go with the Skyking product. I purchased other stuff from him in the past when I had my 02 Sprint. Never had a problem with the quality.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
How do saddlebags affect how the sliders work? I run most of the time with the bags on, so I'm guessing the sliders won't do much, since the bags would change the angle of how the bike would slide. Or would the bags break off, and all hope is lost with protecting the bike? :eek:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts