Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Any electronics shop. You can usually buy it either by the foot or they have 4' lengths in many diameters. What size do you need and how much? I have a ton of 3/4" and 1" here at work and i can send you some if you don't need a ton of it.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the offer, Daz.

I finally found some this afternoon. We have what is possibly the best hardware store on the planet in Boulder. Not sure why they had it, but they had shrink tubing in 4 foot lengths of every width and color (including clear).

Good ole McGuckin Hardware! I should have tried there first!

Thanks again though.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ridge, If you want to bundle wires and keep them accessable for the future; that snap-on split loom works great and is cheap at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ridge, If you want to bundle wires and keep them accessable for the future; that snap-on split loom works great and is cheap at auto parts stores. It is heat resistant, black and comes in rolls.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did they have 3:1 (shrink ratio; most common is the 2:1) or the kind with glue in it (seals it all up when you shrink it)?

[ This message was edited by: Mojoinco on 2006-11-16 00:50 ]

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
On 2006-11-15 00:15, dazco wrote:
Alright then. Have fun shrinking. :-D
Should this be moved to the Hang Out "How many Triumph riders are fat?" thread?

:-D

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
They actually see heat guns for that purpose, but they're really nothing more than a hair dryer that gets a bit hotter. A hair dryer will work fine. A lighter works too, but for a big long piece like Ridge is doing i'd use a dryer because depending on how tight the contents does or doesn't get, a dryer may make for a smoother looking shrink.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Paint removers work as well, the same thing with maybe a bit less heat adjustability. Can be found at most hardware stores. Look for the kind with tips, as they allow one to concentrate on an area. In the proffesional realm they have UV types that don;t get anywhere near as hot. Additioanlly, there are even solder ring/heat shrink sleeve combos that speed it all up. Look at www.raychem.com for examples & descriptions. Any heat shrink that has been shrunken can be stretched back out and reused (use a piar of needle nose pliers) if you make a mistake and catch it in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts