Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dealer is cutting me a killer deal on the triumph fabric bags for the bonneville, but they're missing the rails to keep them off the wheel!!!

2 quick questions:

1. does anyone have a set of the rails they'd be willing to sell, or know where i can get a hold of them?

2. does anyone know if any of the racks on NB will work, if so, which one would be my best bet for those fabirc bags?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Here's what I got. This guy customs makes these for your bike when you order. It took just five days from when I ordered them until he had them to me. They worked great and the price is pretty decent.
They don't jump out at you when you have the bags off the bike, they're pretty low-key. They mount at just one point, the lower shock mount and are sturdy enough to keep the bags held out.

This is the link to the ebay site.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SADD...c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171|240:1318

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,249 Posts
2. does anyone know if any of the racks on NB will work, if so, which one would be my best bet for those fabirc bags?
The Triumph bags don't have many points to attach to rails. There are two small velcro loops on each bag designed to wrap around the Triumph rails. One is up high in the back corner, the other roughly centered and abouty 2/3 down the bag. So my concern with using these bags with after-market rails would be attaching the bags to the rails.

I'm sure you're getting a good deal on the bags, but you might check with madss or someone on the price of the rails alone versus the bags w/ rails. I don't think the cost of the rails alone is all that far from the package price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Houston:

Maybe this is a dumb question since I don't have any side rails as yet...

Your rails are mounted at the bottom of the shock so they are basically attached to the wheel. Meanwhile, your saddlebags are attached to the seat. They are going to move up and down relative to each other. It seems like it would stress whatever you use to attach the bags to the rail. Even if that works out okay, aren't you going to get a lot of rubbing of the rails against the bags?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, if you had followed through and bought that City Bag from me a few months ago, you would already have a pair!

lol, true, but the city bag won't fit on my bike cuz of my FEK! haha, the cloth ones taper down so i don't think my turn signals will get in the way.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,249 Posts
Seems to me that I've read several negative comments about those Triumph leather bags on these forums. Poor quality I think. You might want to look around before buying those.

The rails do come with a bolt and some washers, but the hardware is not necessary. They attach using existing bolts on the shock top and footpeg. The stuff that comes with the rails is meant to replace the existing hardware, but I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
455 Posts
These then , stock ?

$135 for the pair it shows .

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah, those are the ones i've ordered. they're on backorder, but are expected to be in sometime next week.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here's what I got. This guy customs makes these for your bike when you order. It took just five days from when I ordered them until he had them to me. They worked great and the price is pretty decent.
They don't jump out at you when you have the bags off the bike, they're pretty low-key. They mount at just one point, the lower shock mount and are sturdy enough to keep the bags held out.

This is the link to the ebay site.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SADD...c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171|240:1318
+1 on these. a bit of paint came off of the mount, but that's because a stud on my bag rubs against it. otherwise they are cheap and work great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts