Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put air in my tires with the gas station air pumps but was told that the pumps are designed for cars and may blow up the motorcycle tires. Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I was going to put air in my tires with the gas station air pumps but was told that the pumps are designed for cars and may blow up the motorcycle tires. Anyone heard of this?
Really?
Air pressure is air pressure.

Was the water spigot for Fords only?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someones yankin your crank
yea I think so too, or just don't want motorcycles on their lot getting air :p

gave me some lecture on how the air pump air comes out faster because the car tires are bigger so it may come out so fast that the tire will blow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, that's a new one. My only caution would be to make sure that you use an accurate pressure gauge. We have a chain called sheetz that offers free air (which is nice) but their pumps can be way off. One time we but what I thought was 35 psi in my wife's van tires. Turns out it was around 62 psi. I checked after the tps sensors were going off and the handling felt weird. I always carry a pressure gauge under my seat on the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
^^^ What he said. Cars can often get away with pressures off by a lot, but not with bikes, especially with modern radial tyres.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Wow!
Ok, years ago, gas stations often had repair shops attached to them. The air that was available to air up tires (remember "full service"?) was provided by the shop air compressor, typically at 150 PSI. Kids would pull up with their bicycles, attach the air chuck, and blow up their tires, hiss-BANG! Just that quick. I think that's where your gas station friend got his story from. The little POS air compressors that the gas stations now provide for airing up tires are no where near that powerful. Be sure to check your tires with your own reliable gauge, and enjoy the stories!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ha! That's a good one! I imagine the same service station will gladly rotate your wiper blades and change the washer fluid for a nominal fee.

In all seriousness i would definitely use a good tire gauge when filling motorcycle tires as they will fill quickly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies. I do have my own gauge to verify the pressure. I usually use my 12V portable compressors to fill up the tires but seems to have misplaced it. Plus, the station offers free air.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The ONLY things that will materially affect the RATE of air filling are 1) the supply pressure, and 2) the back-pressure in whatever is being filled (this ignores minor effects such as flow restrictions in the air hose, air chuck valve, tire valve, etc.). Granted, motorcycle (or bicycle) tires have a smaller air volume and thus the air pressure while being filled will rise more quickly than a auto tire.

As already noted above, typical gas station air compressors (and most other air compressors) run at between maybe 90psi and 120psi. At my dad's tire shop years ago, we ran the shop compressor at about 150psi so that air tools worked faster and tires could be filled faster, but this is NOT typical.

Perhaps whoever told you this actually knows that their supply pressure is unusually high and they were just trying (badly) to warn you to be careful of QUICK pressure rise.

- Jay

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you have a look on EBay you will find tyre caps that have a buit in pressure gauge, about £3 for 4. You have to order the cap with the correct pressure. When the tryre is at the correct pressure they show green, then Amber and finally red as the pressure drops. They are any to see and read. If you have multiple bikes it is very easy to forget how long ago you checked your pressures. I also use them on all my cars, very simple , cheap and effective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a look on EBay you will find tyre caps that have a buit in pressure gauge, about £3 for 4. You have to order the cap with the correct pressure. When the tryre is at the correct pressure they show green, then Amber and finally red as the pressure drops. They are any to see and read. If you have multiple bikes it is very easy to forget how long ago you checked your pressures. I also use them on all my cars, very simple , cheap and effective.
This is incredible. :eek: Never knew they existed.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Kids would pull up with their bicycles, attach the air chuck, and blow up their tires, hiss-BANG! Just that quick.
Yes, I can verify this actually can happen. Don't ask how I know. Bicycle tires have very small volume and pressures can build very fast. if the tire is only 30-40 psi it happens in a matter of a second or two.

[Y]ears ago, gas stations often had repair shops attached to them. The air that was available to air up tires (remember "full service"?) was provided by the shop air compressor, typically at 150 PSI.
150 and even 180 PSI was typical of any station that used air over hydraulic lifts or jacks, very common "back then."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts