Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the measurements and dimensions for proper drilling of holes for controls when prepping clip ons?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Don't drill. Dremel plastic locating pins off switchgear and use 2 sided gluepads instead.
Will allow for you to re-adjust later and won't compromise integrity of your new bars.

The controls that matter (throttle, brake, clutch) don't have locator pins to begin with, so you are only talking about the plastics. If you wan't to secure grips 100% surely you will have to get fatter barends to act as security stops.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Don't drill. Dremel plastic locating pins off switchgear and use 2 sided gluepads instead.
Will allow for you to re-adjust later and won't compromise integrity of your new bars.

The controls that matter (throttle, brake, clutch) don't have locator pins to begin with, so you are only talking about the plastics. If you wan't to secure grips 100% surely you will have to get fatter barends to act as security stops.

+1 No need to drill holes. I dremeled the tabs and have had no problems. Even when riding track days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just removed the stock tabs, wrapped a layer or two of electrical tape around the bars and fit the controls over that, they never move.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Be careful with the electrical tape. Unless you use specific types (like 3M's "Scotch® Super 33+ Premium"), the adhesive can melt and actually become somewhat slippery. I have found this to happen as low as 100 degrees surface temp. Being an electrician for the past 12 years....I definitely know my electrical tape!:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts