Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking this question, but I've used the search for about 30 minutes trying to find threads on this subject with no luck.

I want to buy the spanner wrench to adjust my chain on my 2001 Sprint ST, but I can't find one anywhere on line. I'm sure I'm just not looking hard enough. I had seen several on ebay a couple of months ago, but was by the dealership where I bought my bike and they adjusted it for me for free, so I figured I'd be good for a while. But, it is close to needing another adjustment. The problem with getting the dealership to do it for me is that the closest dealership is almost 2 hours away. I figure I can order one from the dealership, but considering they charged me $15USD for a key blank, I figure the wrench would probably be $100.

And as long as I am getting flamed, where's a good place to order a shop manual from?

Ok, FLAME AWAY, but while flaming, someone please include where to get a wrench.

Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: Hokie on 2007-03-08 12:01 ]

·
Registered
134 Posts
any triumph dealer will have the part number for it
even the individual tools in the kit have part numbers

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Shane, there is usually a long-armed wrench listed on eBay.

I might have an extra one in my garage. I gave the toolkit from my '00 ST to a buddy that rides a TBS. He didn't need the spanner. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.

I seem to remember you cannot buy the wrench from T-USA; they sell only the complete toolkit.

BikeBandit will, though. "C SPANNER WITH HANDLE 5571781-001 $18.72" That is, if they can get it from Triumph.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Shane,

If you don't have any manuals for the bike, here's the chain adjustment info from Triumph: vertical movement of the drive chain midway between the sprockets should be 35-40mm for the Sprint ST, i.e. 1 1/2 inch.

Most common opinion in previous threads is that a bit too much slack is better than too little.

If you really have a problem that needs to be taken care of, judicious use of a flat bar and hammer can do it, and perhaps more precisely than the tool since fine adjustments are difficult with the tool. A shallow V notch on the bar end can help.

Good luck,
Bern

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Nah just use a hammer and chisel.Multi purpose tools,can fix anything.
:-D :hammer: :-D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Check on Bikebandit.com ---- there is a section for OEM parts and they have everything blown-up on pretty good schematics. Just enter your bike info and then click on the links. I think they sell the whole kit and also just the individual parts of the kit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like BikeBandit.com has the toolkit. I have been planning to just put together a toolkit myself and short of the spanner wrench, could definitely do it for less than $67, but I'll probably go ahead and order one since it includes the spanner too.

I'll probably wait and order this weekend. pushr0d, if you run across that spare spanner wrench before Sat. let me know what you want for it.
Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My dealer was able to get me just the spanner and gave me a beat down piece of what looks like electrical conduit to use on the end to be able to adjust the hub. Works just fine, but man what a $#%@ to keep the spanner from slipping on the hub. I think the spanner was like $26 +-. Where in Va do you live. I traval a lot to the Gainsville, Manassas area and can hook you up if you are close to there - beware though am not a Hokie fan, My alum is the incredible UT - Yes the same longhorns that gave you guys a serios beat down two years ago on our way to the national Champ - but Sprint family is sprint family. If you can't find one anywhere else let me know and I can get one and have it sent or meet up with you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MVP44, :-D I don't recall that beating :hammer: you refer to... :razz: (selective memory) Nah, I do recall that, unforunately.

I live right in the middle of Hokie country, sorta. I work at VT and I live in a small town 25 miles west of Blacksburg, so we're on opposite ends of the state, but if you are ever down this way, look me up and I'll show you some great back roads.

[ This message was edited by: Hokie on 2007-03-09 13:07 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts