Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Most bike shops have our filters. Ring around! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Purolator Pure One PL14610 from Pep Boys. It will be about 1/2 longer then stock but is highly recommended. I've put a combined 37k miles on Triumph triples running this filter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Purolator Pure One PL14610 from Pep Boys. It will be about 1/2 longer then stock but is highly recommended. I've put a combined 37k miles on Triumph triples running this filter.
The longer filter makes it a WHOLE lot easier to install / remove as well... no more pain there :p

Muz

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Orrr........

Use the search function and all the above answers are there plus a lot more.

See "Maintenance tips etc" subforum at the top of the page and find the Parts thread Panthers-den maintains for part numbers.

DaveM

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey excellent. I use Pure One on my commuter and my race car with excellent results, glad to know there's an app for the bike :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use the K&N with the 17mm nut on the end, installation and removal is a breeze.

It's part number KN-191

Do a google search on that part number and a bunch of online sources pop up.

They run about $13

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Online oil filters? Just go to any autoparts store and order the puro number. They can cross that over into whatever brand they have. The Puro and the Wix are great filters. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am avoiding my dealer as they are horrible and 50 miles away, so I'd just like to order a filter online. Where do you guys buy all your parts from?

Thanks...
Yes I am a fool that pays a little more. I use the filters my dealer sells, the Triumph ones. I buy alllll my Triumph stuff, oil-filters-seals-chains-gaskets etc etc from Great Bay Triumph. I call up, they have my info on record, they ship right to my shop. No need to drive anywhere. They have never let me down. But, like I said in another post...that is just me. Running my own business, this kind of ease in ordering what I need and prompt shipping-makes life that much easier for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've used the regular Purolator 14610 filter for the last 4 years. Works great, easy to install and remove without tools, 4 bucks at Pep Boys. You can pick up the drain plug washers there too.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not a fan of aftermarket filters (Purolator, K&N), so I stick to the OEM ones. Since I don't happen to know who makes the Triumph filter to just buy it directly, I was looking for an online site that sells Triumph parts so I could just order it from them. I just don't know of any online Triumph stores. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Here is what I don't get, what is your aversion to aftermarket filters? Do you have some proof that they are inferior to OE filters?

As far as OE parts go they can only be sold by, you guessed it OE. There are dealers who advertise online such as Great Bay Triumph but in the end you will never find a Triumph OE filter in Parts R Us.

So who do you think makes OE filters? The OE? Do you think that GM makes all their GM filters? Do you think Ford builds Motorcraft filters? How about your Viper? Mopar filters? No. There are about 5 filter manufacturers and they manufacturer about 85% of the filters for OE outside of small engine.

You have:
Allied Signal: (Fram, garbage we dont need to discuss)
Purolator: who manufacturers Purolator (Great filter in the higher end series such as the Puro One. Mediocre second line)
Wix: Manufacturers Wix filtration, Nascar series, Pro Select and NAPA Gold
Bosch: Everyone knows Bosch, small filter division but quite reputable.
Mann: European specific filters. Excellent quality and performance.
THere is an Asian manufacturer that is OE on Toyota but cant remember the name.

So your viper filter is made by either Wix or Puro on any given day as are the AC Delco filters, Motorcraft filters. So if a Wix/Puro is good enough for your Viper isnt it good enough for your Sprint, not matter what label is on it?

Allied Signal makes many many companies second like stuff. Any large department store that also sells some automotive is usually Fram. If the filter is about 2 bucks..... its fram. Here in Canada Canadian Tire private branded and most no name or white box are fram.

Bosch has some Mercedes OE work and many European manufacturers.

Mann Filters headquartered in Germany is huge in European cars and is OE even in its Yellow and Green packaging on BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Land Rover. Most times they will be private branded but you will see Yellow and Green MANN labeled filters. Personally MANN is my favorite and offers exceptional value.

I would get over your after market filter phobia and use hi end filtration that isnt necessarily Triumph branded as many of the aftermarket filters offer better filtration.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Purolator from Amazon - cheap -- get a six pack and get free shipping.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugh... here we go. I asked a simple question, but of course it turns into this.

Here is what I don't get, what is your aversion to aftermarket filters? Do you have some proof that they are inferior to OE filters?

As far as OE parts go they can only be sold by, you guessed it OE. There are dealers who advertise online such as Great Bay Triumph but in the end you will never find a Triumph OE filter in Parts R Us.
I am not asking for a branded oil filter, but one that is made by the OEM manufacturer. I could care less if it says Triumph on it as long as the filter I am using is made by the same people who make the filter for Triumph. So your statement is not correct - however I asked who makes the Triumph filter and no one has answered that (maybe no one knows, although it shouldn't be too hard to find out).

So who do you think makes OE filters? The OE? Do you think that GM makes all their GM filters? Do you think Ford builds Motorcraft filters? How about your Viper? Mopar filters? No. There are about 5 filter manufacturers and they manufacturer about 85% of the filters for OE outside of small engine.
Of course not, and no where did I say that. I don't know why you'd assume I think Triumph makes their own filters? I didn't say that anwhere.

So your viper filter is made by either Wix or Puro on any given day as are the AC Delco filters, Motorcraft filters. So if a Wix/Puro is good enough for your Viper isnt it good enough for your Sprint, not matter what label is on it?
Yet agan no where did I say that. And the Viper is not a very advanced engine (don't tell my Viper friends I said that!). However, there is a specific mopar filter for the Viper, as it holds a higher oil pressure than their regular mopar filter (this was a running change around 2006).

Bosch has some Mercedes OE work and many European manufacturers.

Mann Filters headquartered in Germany is huge in European cars and is OE even in its Yellow and Green packaging on BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Land Rover. Most times they will be private branded but you will see Yellow and Green MANN labeled filters. Personally MANN is my favorite and offers exceptional value.
Bosch is generally an aftermarket filter, not OEM. You have three OEM manufacturers for most European cars: Mann, Mahle, and Hengst. I rarely get filters from the dealer for any of my other cars (or past cars), and just order from a store that carries the OEM filter (non-branded).

Anyway, I thought my post was very clear, but it seems that you got OEM confused with a Triumph branded part. I specifically said "Since I don't happen to know who makes the Triumph filter to just buy it directly..." which says I am looking for the OEM manufacturer of the Triumph filters. So, does anyone know?

Thanks,

- Anthony

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Adg,
You say multiple times that I am assuming something but in fact I am assuming nothing. I put question marks at the ends of my comments because I am simply asking you a question to clarify.

You ar correct about Bosch generally being aftermarket but they do produce OE filters, fuel pumps and other parts. That is not what the discussion is though.

Also this has been my job for the last 12 years. I work in the automotive aftermarket. Yes your Mopar filter for your Viper has a higher burst pressure and a higher by-pass pressure which is different then holding higher oil pressure as your engine which is not that advanced runs about 45-60psi but your filter will accept a spike as high as 300psi. Again, not here or there or answering your question.

I didnt understand and nor do I beleive it was that clear that you wanted to know the manufacturer of the Triumph filter so you could buy the aftermarket version from the OE manufacturer. Your original post stated that you didnt like aftermarket filters.

As far as finding out? Not really that easy as it may have changed as contracts change and there might be policy in place that prohibits the contents of supplier agreements. In the end from looking at it, it looks like wix or puro. I haven't ever taken one apart but if you did you can usually tell whose it is.

Anyway, this forum is about discussion so opening your post with the "Ugh... here we go. I asked a simple question, but of course it turns into this" comment is really not applicable here. I asked open ended questions that should have inspired conversation and discussion not upset. Read what you will into it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts