Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm trying to sell my 2006 Sprint ST and was wondering if anyone can suggest some places I can advertise it. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I've posted it at a sports bike site and Craigslistand was wondering if anyone knows any other web sites that might be more populated by people interested in sports tourers.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Everyone I know in BC that bought a used bike in the last couple years has looked at Craigslist daily whilst shopping. Very few looked at Kijii, because of the crappy interface. Can't hurt to advertise there too, but CL is your primary outlet.

I bought mine off Craigslist (though I went down to Tacoma to buy it, CAD prices on used bikes were/are pretty nutty compared to south of the border, and this was when the loonie was par with the greenback).

The trick is to write a good advert. Pictures pictures pictures, and a good description. Price it at (or very close to) the price you're willing to sell it for. Don't jack up the price to leave you thousands in haggle room, because you'll be the LAST bike in your category that people look at. Put the price in the title.

Bad example:

"2006 Truimph Sprint, no test rides, $9500, call between 8:15 and 8:25 AM, keywords (insert every bike manufacturer here, and every model). No pictures".
Good example:
"2006 Triumph Sprint ST. Triple-cylinder 1050cc 125hp British Sport Touring beauty in amazing (insert color here), extremely reliable, all-day comfortable. XXXXX fun miles, many more fun miles left in it, all service done (if not, do it!), tires in (good/bad) condition. I love this bike but (economy, child, health, too many bikes, impending move) forces me to sell. $7000.

Bike (has/does not have) factory panniers.

(Insert mod list here, and briefly explain the mods)

Pictures don't do it justice but I've included four good ones below, and a link to several more high resolution pictures on (flikr, smugmug, picassa, etc) , but you have to *ride* a Sprint to really appreciate its amazing motor and sweet handling. Bring your Class 6 license when you come to look at it, I'll probably let you ride it.

Here are some review links about the bike, and Triumph's website.

Email me or call XXX-XXX-XXXX anytime before XX:XX PM.

Keywords: Honda VFR,Ducati ST3, Ducati ST4, Aprilia Futura, Moto Guzzi Norge, FJR1300, BMW R1200"
An ad like the last one will get you a lot more interest from people looking specifically for a Sprint, as well as people who may not be aware of the model.

Good current ad:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1222632344.html

Decent current ad:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1221836972.html

BAD current ad:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1208117719.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Croak,

thanks for the very informative and detailed response :) I'm glad you found my craigslist advert decent.

One question, any ideas how the guy in White Rock is able to post such large images on craigslist? I could only get the small images with a limit of 4. I guess he might have added the files remotely and added html image tags?

With your advice I will update my advert and watch the buyers come flocking to me.

Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
copton do you have a speed triple now?
Close, but no cigar. I actually picked up a Street Triple. Bright green bug with Arrow high mounts.

What can I say... lovin' it :D It rates very highly on my fun-o-meter.

I'll post some pics of it soon.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Your advert is MUCH better now. If anyone is looking, your bike is now on a much shorter list.

And I agree with Lugan, hit ST.N, ADVRider, and BCSportbikes can't hurt (though it's not a supersport, so don't expect too much traffic).

Just be aware of posting policies (most forums don't like direct links to CL, they prefer you to post the entire ad on the site).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts