Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 78 to the point that I'm pretty satisfied with it. It runs well and is pretty dependable. Most of the main cosmetic issues have been addressed and while its not a show bike it gets it share of thumbs ups. Someday I may strip it down and do a complete restoration but I'm not ready to put that kind of $ into an OIF model right now and I'm enjoying riding it. So to start spending some more garage time I'm looking for a new project, specifically a 68 to 70 Bonneville or Tiger. I'm just not finding any in the project stage. Either they have already been restored or they have hard tails and other frame modifications. I've pretty much confined my search to Texas but that covers a fair amount of real estate. Yesterday an unrestored 67 Bonneville here in Houston sold on E**y for 3850$. Are the unrestored, project bikes getting scarce everywhere?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Project bike drought?

I've noticed the same here in central Fla for both old Triumphs and airhead BMW's. In fact, and this is empirical observation purely and not indicative of my scientific or statistical prowess or lack thereof, its difficult to find any BMW project/daily rider that isn't a recent GS or Adventure that is built to the hilt and for sale as garage kept with low miles....hmmmm? Which leads me to wonder...If you buy a bike with the word "adventure" in the name, does it become more difficult to find it? :D Is that why they are for sale?

When I search for Triumphs, I get lots of Hinckley hits (well, some, maybe not "lots") but not much else.

The last two Meriden Triumph prospects I found were Craig's List listings and a local trader rag sold in convenience stores, respectively.

·
Super Moderator
13,309 Posts
An unrestored '67 Bonnie for $3,850.00 sounds like a pretty good deal!

...unless it was an unrestored basket of parts.

The "prime" Bonnies, 65 to 70, are getting more and more rare; the price will always reflect availability.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,
If you come across one down in your area let me know. I have a trailer and that's reasonable driving distance. I'm going out to New Ulm next month maybe something will turn up there.
Mitch

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Three weeks ago a friend of mine bought a unit TR6 (don't know what year) that had the front tire burned off in a house fire but was otherwise all there for $150.00. I heard about it a day too late to beat him to it. The owner just wanted to get it out of the garage since he had no interest in "fixing" and old bike. It was here in town too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you don't mind paying for shipping these two turned up on Craigslist yesterday.

email this posting to a friend lansing craigslist > motorcycles/scooters
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Triumph Bonneville and TR6C (Haslett)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-26, 9:34PM EDT

I have two Triumph motorcycles that I am considering selling. The first is a 1966 Triumph Bonneville. I started a frame off restoration on this bike. I have got it to the point of rolling with new British rims and stainless Buchanan spokes, the frame, swingarm and forks are powder coated. I have had all of the chrome parts rechromed, all of the black parts powder coated and all of the nuts and bolts re-cad plated. The cases have been cleaned. I have purchased many new parts including pistons and rings. I also have the correct front fender and a spare that were sent to Ross Thompson to be polished, they look brand new! I have a few thousand invested in this aside from the bike.

The second bike is a 1969 TR6C that was a complete ground up restoration. This bike also had all of the chrome parts re-plated, the black parts powder coated and all of the fasterers re-cad plated, the tank was also professional painted with color match from Don Hutchinson. This bike looks great.

These bikes were meant to be returned to stock, you are not going to see a pile of mixed year parts! I no longer have much inclination to work on British bikes so I am paarting with some of my collection.

I am not giving these bikes away so if you want to offer a few hundred just email me and I will politely not respond. If you are interested email me and we can set up a time to look at them.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1141649163

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had a very hard time finding a 66 - 70 Bonnie.
I was willing to travel most of East coast too to pick it up.
Theres lots of choppers many with matching numbers, and of course loads of 71 72 OIFs.

The decent deals are picked off Craigslist within hours even minutes. Im not kidding. I found 3 gems and all 3 were gone with a few hours.

Youll find what you want on ebay but will pay extra.

I finally found a half restored bike locally. Im still in shock after months of searching. It was just luck too.

If you confine yourself to just search Texas I think you could be waiting a long time for the right bike.

These things are so hard to find now im thinking of buying another if I find a good deal and just keep it in mothballs until i retire and use it as a new project.

The good news is the 68 - 70 Bonnies were the biggest ever selling bike for Triumph in the USA.

·
Registered
194 Posts
email this posting to a friend new orleans craigslist > motorcycles/scooters
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1960's Triumph - $1000 (nola)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-04-30, 11:56AM CDT

Late 60's Triumph motorcycle. Was taken apart for restoration. Bike is complete but will need to be reassembled. Extra frame included.
Call Matt for more info. 504-621-9080.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1147655965

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or

Htown16, CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE
Cheers, MM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts