Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been looking around for a used seat for a 2001 Adventurer, I think 98-01 are the same. With all the bikes I've seen parted out all over I have never seen an adventurer stock seat. What is up with that? Has anyone got a seat kicking around out there? The condition is not that important. It mounts with 2 bolts through the left and right fender rails just under the passenger. Thanks Eric :???:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
On my 99 adventurer there are no bolts.
There is just this latch ring you pull and pull up the seat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then maybe only the 2000 and 2001 share the same seat configuration. I know there was a change in the fender rail support system to fortify the rear of the bike. Probably the fender was bearing most of the load with a passenger onboard since I believe the first Ads were solo bikes. I'm trying, like many others, to build a better seat for my bike, but want to keep the original in tact just incase I'm unsucessful. Somewhere someone has to have a recked 00 or 01 Adventurer I really dont care what the vinal condition is, just need a good seat pan and desent foam would be a plus. Even if your in the UK If the price is right shipping wont hurt so bad. PM me or email Thanx again.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The 2K has a bolt-on seat so I guess it's the 2k and 2k1.

I modded the seat on mine for more comfort by adding some hard foam to the sides of the seat pan on either side of the center ridge and it worked quite nicely. I'm now good for hours in the saddle rather than the half-hour sore butt with the stock seat.

Let me know if you want details.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Skipping the false starts and errors.... I used a urethane foam brand named 'Great Stuff' that's available at the local Ace Hardware and Home Depot for filling holes and gaps around plumbing. It comes in an aerosol can in two densities and you need the high-density version.

The seat is held together by a row of staples around the edge of the cover and the cover holds the foam in place. Just pull the staples out of the plastic pan and the whole thing comes apart. Depending on the seat you may have to remove the mounting brackets.

The urethane will stick to almost anything -- except the seat pan -- so you need to put down a layer of masking tape on the plastic seat pan first. That also makes the mod reversible if you decide to have a custom seat made up at some later date.

The areas of greatest concern are on either side of the central ridge in the 'butt bucket' area. The object is to build the pan up so it's flat side-to-side when viewed from the front but retains the the curvature of the seat pan as viewed from the side.

The foam as it comes out of the can is too low in density, so you need to break it down to increase the density. Just smear it around with a bit of cardboard to break up the foam and turn it into sticky goo. Let it sit and it will re-foam with a higher density and a lot less height.

When it's hardened, trim the high points level with the ridge in the pan using a large knife -- a bread knife works well -- and reapply layers of foam the same way as required to fill any dips in the foam layer and build it up to level.

When you get the pan leveled, trim the bottom of stock foam seat pad to match the new seat pan and try it for size. You'll probably want to build up the sides of the pan to match the seat foam or you'll wind up trimming bits of cutoff foam to fit. Just don't get the seat pan too wide or it won't be too comfy on your thighs.

A couple of strips of double-sided carpet tape will hold everything in place when you reinstall the seat cover.

Home Depot carries 1/4" or 3/16" stainless steel staples to reinstall the seat cover and if you're careful the whole thing will look completely stock when you're done.

It's a bit slow because it takes multiple layers of foam so it will take you a few days with time to let the foam harden between applications, but it's well worth it.

I went from a 'half-hour seat' to riding in comfort for hours at a time and the seat looks completely stock.

Jim

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good info here guys, I like the foam buildu-up idea, I was thinking I would have a new seat cover made with gel sewn into the butt area, I may end up doing a combination of both. Still looking for a seat though, can't get over how hard that is to find. I though it was tough to find slash cuts, and a back rest. I still love my bike though.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
A new seat cover would be a good idea since that's got to come off anyhow.

Any half-way decent auto upholstery should be able to copy the stock seat cover for a pretty reasonable price.

BTW, the stock seat foam is plenty soft and comfortable enough -- that's the problem! It's so soft the ridge in the seat pan pokes through.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
On 2006-12-08 12:08, KD5QOQ wrote:
On my 99 adventurer there are no bolts.
There is just this latch ring you pull and pull up the seat.
Interesting, I also have a 99 Adventurer and my seat is bolted on. Wonder if there was a mid-year change?
I would rather it came off without having to dig out tools but I quess it makes it hard to steal the battery
I know someone here has an answer and hopefully they will set me straight. Thanks for any clarification.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess so....Its my understanding that there was a change, when was the unknown. I think you have answered both our questions. The early Adv., if you look, had a single chrome perch on both sides of the fender for the backrest. The seat popped on and off with a release I believe. Later you see a long arching chrome bracket that runs from the lower frame bolt all the way to the blinker. It ties all mounting points together to include the fender, without it the rear of the bike was supported by the fender solely. Since early Adv. could come solo this was not an issue but add a two rider seat and well there ya go. This mod may not be the best looking configuration but certainly much more robust. I'm thinking I will find some nice chrome or stainless allen head bolts, drill through the heads and install a D-ring. Then I can run them in and out by hand. Funny thing is that the 2001 example I found (member ricky) is the bike I own now so there is a pic of my bike pre mods. I did not know it was there, I stumbled onto it looking for a pic without bags.

[ This message was edited by: ecrabbit96 on 2006-12-19 08:32 ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here's an idea. I saw the Orange County Chopper guys use this on an episode. Looks like a low VOC fiberglass kit to me, but it certainly is an interesting idea.

http://www.polypangel.com/

[ This message was edited by: Mojoinco on 2006-12-21 01:50 ]

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Here's an idea. I saw the Orange County Chopper guys use this on an episode. Looks like a low VOC fiberglass kit to me, but it certainly is an interesting idea.
That looks about like the stuff I used, but can you imagine what your butt would look/feel like after a couple of hours on that gator-hide seat?

That's just wrong.... :-D

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts