Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a weird (dumb?) question but I've had bikes in the past (Aprilia? Ducati? can't remember) where the odometer reading lived in the ECU and/or the dash and if you replaced one or the other, you got different results with regard to the odometer reading.

I ask because I just purchased a used instrument cluster/tach with less miles than mine.
This is to fix my buggering of the tach face: Weird powdery gray substance growing (?) on tach needle

I'm assuming that the mileage of the new cluster will become my bike's apparent mileage.
How would you document it?
Assuming I can't update it somehow to the accurate mileage.
Thanks.
-John

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm fairly certain it's stored in the instruments and probably won't update when it's connected to your ECU, you'll probably just have to make a record of the change and record the two mileages.
I don't think even triumph dealers can modify the odometer Reading, you may need to take it in anyway to get it work with your ECU.
Terry colley or DEcosse are the guys who would know for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's only a few thousand miles so not a huge deal. Obviously something I'd disclose when (if!) I ever sell the bike.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's definitely stored in the cluster and independent of the ECU.

The people who claim to be able to alter them will usually only return them to zero which apparently isn't considered 'tampering'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Terry. Good to know. I'll just document it with the rest of my OCD maintenance docs.
Cheers,
-John

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is there no easy way of swapping over the the tacho face onto your existing unit, or are you risking having too knackered sets of clocks then :(
I know people have swapped to aftermarket dial faces on Thruxtons, different clocks I know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there no easy way of swapping over the the tacho face onto your existing unit, or are you risking having too knackered sets of clocks then :(
I know people have swapped to aftermarket dial faces on Thruxtons, different clocks I know.
Yeah, I'm scared of pulling off the needle and getting a new one back on properly. The face would come off pretty easily, there are 8 or so small screws that hold the assembly together. It's just that needle.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Completely understandable given what's happened already.
Although I suppose you could try pulling the needle off the old clocks if they're no use to you now, it may come off easier than you think, and you've still got the replacement one you've bought as a backup if it all goes wrong.:unsure:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new cluster arrived and the transplant worked perfectly. I now just have 6K less miles than I used to.
An expensive lesson ($257)
If anyone needs an 8700 mile 2016 cluster with an ugly tach face, let me know. :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm curious if that model cluster would work on my 2007 model 1050 Speed Triple (the one with the speedo in the tach face). How much do you want for it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts