Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a parking lot mishap this AM (bad SUV driver, little space to escape, hit curb at an angle :mad:), I now have a hose with what appears to be an inline filter loose on the left side. Bike starts and runs, apparently OK without it connected. But I can't imagine that will last long.

ID: the hose is one of a group of hoses & wrapped cables coming up through a sheath just behind the #1 cylinder. The sheath ends maybe an inch or so below the frame. The filter (or whatever it may be) has an arrow and the word "UP" on it. The end of the hose isn't quite square, but has a slight angle. Doesn't appear to be sheared. Looks like it ought to be the fuel supply, but I haven't lifted the tank yet. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Anybody know where this thing goes? I'd rather not have to go through backflips to get my trailer to work.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Sounds like the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel tank. That "inline filter" is most likely the tip over valve....which prevents fuel from flowing if the bike, well, tips over.

You can either lift the tank up and you will see 2 thin pipes coming out of the bottom of it, one with a tube missing off it most likely.

OR...kneel next to the bike on it's left side and peer through and past the frame and look under the tank and you SHOULD be able to see the two pipes coming off of the bottom of the tank.....focus and your eyes will eventually see it...use a flashlight if you must.

The bike will run fine without this hose attached. No problems.

It's common for the hoses to pop off when people lift the tank for whatever readon. And it's even more common for people to reatatch them onto the wrong pipe causing a vacuum effect when they TRY to open the gas cap. This vacuum effect may make the bike idel/run weird after awhile when the vacuum builds up too much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I definitely need a flashlight. I know the two little pipes you're talking about. Had the tank off last week to run some wiring for my GPS. Can't remember now, but do you know if the hose goes on the larger or the smaller diameter pipe? It might be obvious, but these things are not always so, in my experience.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I don't know off hand, sitting at my work desk and nowhere near my bike. There should still be one hose attached to the tank, just put the other one where it fell off of.

If you ask me, much easier to raise the tank. Just raise it a LITTLE bit, enough to peer in with a flashlight and get your hand in there. This way you don't raise it too much and make the other hose pop off and then you wouldn't know where which one goes.

When you had your tank up last time you might not have FULLY slid the hose all the way on. I've done that just to see that it had slid off later on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know off hand, sitting at my work desk and nowhere near my bike. There should still be one hose attached to the tank, just put the other one where it fell off of...
Makes perfect sense. Except, last time I had my tank off, I saw the two pipes without a hose on either one. So I slid the one loose hose I found onto the pipe that seemed to fit the best. As they have different diameters, it seems they probably have different purposes. But since I didn't find two loose hoses, that made me wonder if I had the right one. Still, the bike's been running fine, AFAIK.

Guess I'll just go with the gas cap test until my service manual gets here. If it ever does! :)

Anyway, thanks again. Good to know I can ride home, regardless. :cool:

·
Banned
557 Posts
The other purpose is just an overflow. When you fill up your gas and if you fill up too much it goes into a little hole and spills out under the bike via the hose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help! :) Got it all sorted with the help of a 5mm allen key (for the side panel). So far, I seem to have the right hoses on the right pipes. Now, if I can just figure out where to add the power steering fluid... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts