Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S'up forum? I bought a helmet lock from Bellacorse.

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc047.htm

I was wondering where you mounted it? I thought about mounting it near the back of the seat on the chassis, but I was worried about interfering with any saddle bag mounts I may want to put on.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have an extra helmet on it while I ride. Picky aren't i?

Any ideas? It's a bit tricky since once it is on, you can't unscrew it.

·
30,701 Posts
I wouldn't advise carrying a helmet on it anyway - the bouncing around can damage the helmet especially at the chin strap mounting.

I did see someone with one on their handlebars that worked pretty well.

I use a little 30mm padlock and just lock the helmet chinstrap to the brake lever.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Good idea with the padlock and brake lever - I never thought of that one and it would be convienient. I mounted mine (Bella Corse) on the left side above the foot pegs, in front of the rear shock. When a helmet is locked in, it rests on both foot pegs and is about 2 inches (or so) above the muffler. I have yet to get any damage from heat rising up, but then again, I don't use the lock much - usually carry the helmet in to wherever I go....

I think I'm gonna get a padlock like Prop does - I know you said 30mm, but what brand, etc. Who has 'em - is 30 mm the typical padlock size?

·
30,701 Posts
Any brand you like - 30mm is a standard size - one of the smaller ones. I place my helmet on the mirror, and then place the shackle of the lock through a D ring and around the brake lever, then you can't slide it off over the knob.

I didn't think of this - merely copying someone elses idea! ;)

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/36028-helmet-lock-tip.html

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to go the route that a friend does and use the 'reminder' cable from the disk brake lock to run through the full face helmet & tank bag handle, locking the whole shebang at once. The tank bag will get a small padlock joining the 2 zippers.

Not fool proof against a real thief, but enough of a deterent to keep the casual snitch from making off with things...also makes forgetting to remove the disk brake lock a thing of the past.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
306 Posts
Helmet lock

I have a helmet lock like the one Bellacorse sells and have it mounted on my handle bars. It works well, is easy to use, and doesn't look that bad but if I am thinking about taking it off and doing what Propforward does. I tried it on the frame bar under the seat but I could not use it with my throw over bags. By the way, you can take the screws back off by using a pair of pliers on the outside of the screws.

In the picture below you can see the lock next to the controls on the left side bar.

Pops

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The best helmet lock I've seen is a pair of handcuffs... makes a thief think twice. Next is the gun lock with a short cable (free at most law enforcement offices).

·
30,701 Posts
The 30mm padlock is certainly easy to find a spot for and easy to carry. A friend of mine uses the free gun padlock that road_dog mentions - works very well, but is a little bulky for me.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My favorite location is the RH frame tube just behind the side cover. There's just enough space between the top corner of the cover and the frame to fit the lock and still alow the cover to be removed without and drama. This location keeps the helmet from touching the hot exhaust (assuming you don't have Scrambler pipes, otherwise use the LH side) and can rest against the passenger footpeg if the chin strap is long enough.

Forget the handcuffs idea. Any pervert worth their salt will have a key on their keyring. Take's one to know one! :D

/Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
About the "once its on you cant take it off", Thats only if you use the screws that come with the kit. I went to Home Depot and bought different screws. If someone wants my helmet to the point where they will unsrew the lock which will still remain attached to the helmet then that person can have my helmet.

Oh, my lock is located under the passenger side of my seat. It's an okay spot. Not good for riding with a helmet attached. I use a bungie net for that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll have to give this some thought. I think avoiding the security screws until I know where I want it permanently is a good idea...

I bought the bellacorse lock thinking I would be able to mount it and carry a helmet while riding. Similiar to the street bikes I see flying around the area...

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
You should do a search. There are many posts on this with good pics of the types of helmet locks and where to locate them. I'm with Mike, the frame on the right side just behind the side cover is the perfect place for the helmet lock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't leave the helmet with the bike...ever. I have a nice helmet and don't want the strap cut off of it and stolen.
YMMV.
George

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I don't leave the helmet with the bike...ever.
Agree!! Since I got a nice helmet I don't leave it with the bike either.

But I've also got a couple of old helmets which I would leave with the bike. Also each to their own. If you want to leave your helmet, do so.

So the question is what are the options and where's the most practical place to put a helmet lock.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should do a search. There are many posts on this with good pics of the types of helmet locks and where to locate them. I'm with Mike, the frame on the right side just behind the side cover is the perfect place for the helmet lock.
i dig where that helmet is mounted. i don't think i'd be able to mount in the exact same position since yours looks welded, but maybe right below that.

i'll have to pick up some alternate screws in case i end up bumping into a problem.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
yours looks welded,
Hi mate, it's not welded. It's screwed on with heavy duty "self-tapping" screws. I've used a bit of rattle-can black to paint the screw heads. It works pretty well and you can use it to carry a spare helmet on those rare occasions you need one. It's actually a Royal Enfield accessory and was the very first mod I made.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may very well order the one you have from RE. The price is right (20$) and I want it mounted right where yours is.

Thanks for the pictures. They helped out.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I may very well order the one you have from RE. The price is right (20$) and I want it mounted right where yours is.

Thanks for the pictures. They helped out.
My pleasure endswitha, glad it helped.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Helmet Lock

Ridingw/ xtra- cargo net. Parked- people (bikers)dont steal here in Fl from other bikers so its a redundant. I just hangit on my mirror. Helmets arent req here in Fl so not too many thieves! Only problem I have had is the wind blowingit off!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts