Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 blissful years with a Thruxton R, I’ve got an itch to change bikes. But if like me you like retro (looking) bikes with character, where do you go after a Thruxton? The nineT is too similar in terms of performance, MV is coming out with the Superveloce but it will pricey and have sports bike ergos, and Ducati Scramblers feel like a step down. Any thoughts/ ideas welcome?

·
Registered
34 Posts
In no particular order, these are the options I can think of:
  • Honda CB1000R
  • BMW R1250R
  • Yamaha XSR900
  • Indian FTR1200
  • Kawasaki Z900RS
However, most of those bikes are either not much of a power upgrade, or don't have much character. IMO if you want a serious power upgrade from the Thruxton, then you'll need to sacrifice the retro style and consider a Speed Triple (or something else in its class).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In no particular order, these are the options I can think of:
  • Honda CB1000R
  • BMW R1250R
  • Yamaha XSR900
  • Indian FTR1200
  • Kawasaki Z900RS
However, most of those bikes are either not much of a power upgrade, or don't have much character. IMO if you want a serious power upgrade from the Thruxton, then you'll need to sacrifice the retro style and consider a Speed Triple (or something else in its class).
That - in essence- is the problem. There is nothing to upgrade to in the Modern Classics range. Yes the RS is out but I doubt I’d notice much of a difference with the R. Funnily enough, before the Thruxton I had a Speed Triple R but felt it lacked character

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also have a Thruxton, though an S rather than an R, and as cool as many of the new bikes are, nothing checks as many boxes as my Thruxton. And I haven't read about anything on the horizon that is likely to be better. Frankly, I think you have a keeper.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This has happened for me several times over the years , have found that a radical change can scratch the itch . Have jumped from big retro to small race rep to big trail bike with all points in between and sometimes outside ( Yamaha Venture , super scooter , sub 100cc ) . Still got both my Thruxtons , KTM 390 Duke and have just bought a 40 year old new old stock SWM 124 RZ to scratch my 2 stroke itch .

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That - in essence- is the problem. There is nothing to upgrade to in the Modern Classics range. Yes the RS is out but I doubt I’d notice much of a difference with the R. Funnily enough, before the Thruxton I had a Speed Triple R but felt it lacked character
The only alternative I considered before I bought the Thruxton R was the BMW R nine t racer, probably too similar though to change from one to the other.
Still fancy the idea of one though, mainly because of the rarity factor, never seen one out on the road yet apart from the one I test rode.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would help to know what you’re itching for..? Is it just something new/different? More power? Different ergos? Style? Other?

I have also had TTR for 4 years but my mileage is relatively low at around 8,000 and there are still mods I’d like to do, both cosmetic and performance related. I think I just got it to where I really like it in the last year or two, but there’s more to do— wheels, wrap/paint the tank, and now I’m highly excited about the map options using TuneECU (finally!).

We all get the itch, but like you, there’s not really anything out there that’s appealing to me more than my bike. I think if you’re in a good financial position, than I’d try to find a Thruxton TFC and enjoy that for several years, or a Thruxton RS and drop a couple grand on exhaust, decat and some tuning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
721 Posts
After 4 blissful years with a Thruxton R, I’ve got an itch to change bikes. But if like me you like retro (looking) bikes with character, where do you go after a Thruxton? The nineT is too similar in terms of performance, MV is coming out with the Superveloce but it will pricey and have sports bike ergos, and Ducati Scramblers feel like a step down. Any thoughts/ ideas welcome?

Why "retro looking" when you can have a real bevel gear drive Ducati Desmo...

1980 DUCATI 900SS BEVEL SUPERSPORT PARTS / WELL SORTED - motorcycle...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Besides my Thruxton R I also have a BMW RnineT/5. I think it is pretty nice and a little more comfortable. It doesn't handle quite as well nor does it get as good fuel mileage. It's a little more expensive for accessories.

I think it looks pretty good and a good all rounder. I would stay away from the sport version of the R9T unless you have orangutan type arms.😁

It will be hard to beat the Triumph watercooled 1200cc engine for performance and reliability. Man these are tough engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe you go to a Bonneville. Why not? The Bonne beautiful authentic looking modern retro styled bike.

Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your input. I think I do need a change just for the sake of changing, but I want to stay within the realm of a sporty retro bike. If I could mod the Thruxton I would probably keep it for longer but here in Switzerland they are ultra strict when it comes to any changes that impact emissions. The RS I just don’t like the look of and haven’t come across any TFCs in my area - though not sure either of these would represent enough of a change to scratch this itch. This morning I actually did a test ride of a Panigale V2, having convinced myself it was the modern equivalent of a cafe racer. But it was woefully uncomfortable, made all sorts of clattery mechanical noises, and just didn’t make me feel as cool (in my eyes at least) as my Thruxton! Next I want to try the MV Superveloce when it arrives - although it has a sporty riding position, apparently the foot pegs are adjustable and it can be made more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
If you’re seriously considering the MV, check out the BMW S1000R - 165 hp. For a more upright ride, I went with the R1250R - 135 hp. After 4 “Classic” Triumphs: 1970, 1972, 2004, and 2017.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Panigale V2(formerly 959) a modern cafe racer? For me, a modern cafe racer still needs to be mostly naked, fully exposed engine and have a link to the past. A Monster cafe'd out has a better chance to become one than a Panigale. I would think the R1250R is an upgrade in power over the Thruxton, but it does weigh more probably. It's a different animal than the NineT since they don't share anything in common. I think you have to be an Orangutan to appreciate or like the BMW NineT Racer. It does look the part and better than most modern classics.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Panigale V2(formerly 959) a modern cafe racer? For me, a modern cafe racer still needs to be mostly naked, fully exposed engine and have a link to the past. A Monster cafe'd out has a better chance to become one than a Panigale. I would think the R1250R is an upgrade in power over the Thruxton, but it does weigh more probably. It's a different animal than the NineT since they don't share anything in common. I think you have to be an Orangutan to appreciate or like the BMW NineT Racer. It does look the part and better than most modern classics.
The racer does look great, I thought about it myself but it was so uncomfortable for me. The R1250R is a very sweet and I've always be partial to the R1250RS. I would highly recommend anybody purchasing a bike for longer than the OEM warranty to get an extended warranty. Not saying BMW is not reliable but problems are very expensive.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The racer does look great, I thought about it myself but it was so uncomfortable for me. The R1250R is a very sweet and I've always be partial to the R1250RS. I would highly recommend anybody purchasing a bike for longer than the OEM warranty to get an extended warranty. Not saying BMW is not reliable but problems are very expensive.
Not true, but SO true. Cars and motorcycles are unbelievably expensive to repair out of warranty and be wary of third party aftermarket warranties. See what the manufacturer, not the dealer, offers.

So expensive that we offed our excellent condition, and inteneded to keep for quite a while, 2002 and 2010 Subarus in favor of a really nice VW Alltrack that has a 6 year/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It won't cost us anything to own that car for that long with the exception of routine checkups every 10k miles, gas, tires, , insurance, registration, and incidentals. At about 5 years and 60k miles we'll sell it or trade it in for another long warranty car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to an XE after my Thruxton R, actually thought I was either taking a backward or sideways step but since I’ve had it for 6 months now I now believe it was a step forward

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went to an XE after my Thruxton R, actually thought I was either taking a backward or sideways step but since I’ve had it for 6 months now I now believe it was a step forward
Lol. I traded my R for the SCRAMBLER XC. Love it. Still admire the Thruxtons but comfort levels are far superior now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts