Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have extended control cables. My clutch cable is 4" longer than standard. Triumph does not have them--in fact, my dealer says they don't even list the standard length.

Do any of you have recommendations for a place to get a new clutch cable made?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Motionpro does custom cables. You can ship yours in for reference and they can build them the way you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motionpro does custom cables. You can ship yours in for reference and they can build them the way you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Do you have personal experience with Motionpro? I would like to get a recommendation from someone who has used a cable maker and is happy with the cable.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have contacted Barnett and they sent me a blueprint of their Thunderbird cable. It is close, but not an exact copy of the original. The cable is 20% thinner than the original equipment, which is concerning. The ends of the casing are different than the original and don't have the dust boot at the clutch end. These differences could hurt the cable's longevity.

Still, they may be the only maker with any experience with Thunderbird cables.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have contacted Barnett and they sent me a blueprint of their Thunderbird cable. It is close, but not an exact copy of the original. The cable is 20% thinner than the original equipment, which is concerning. The ends of the casing are different than the original and don't have the dust boot at the clutch end. These differences could hurt the cable's longevity.

Still, they may be the only maker with any experience with Thunderbird cables.
I installed LA Choppers 5.75 inch risers with 1.75 inch pullback on my 2014 Commander. I needed longer cables, throttle and clutch, so I set out looking for 6 inch longer than stock. MotionPro wanted almost $400.00 for the set. Barnett charged less than $200, including shipping, for the set.

Installation is a pain in the ass, because you have to remove the tank and the yoke cover to access everything.
When I installed the new clutch cable, I simply used the dust boot from the old clutch cable. It may be somewhat smaller in diameter, but the smaller cable diameter works just fine. I've ridden over 3,000 miles since installing the new cables.

I think you'll be fine with Barnett's clutch cable.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Barnett and spoke with Joe, one of the cable designers. I expressed my concerns about the Barnett version of the Thunderbird cable, and he was happy to build a new cable using some of the pieces of my old original cable (that I saved as a spare when I installed the Triumph extended cable 6 years ago).

I sent the old cable along with instructions to use the elbow, dust boots and ends from it and to use 2.5 mm wire. I asked them to make the whole thing 3.5 inches longer. They made a cable to the specs I requested and I installed it yesterday.

It is a perfect fit, which is to say there is no room to adjust it. With the adjusting nut screwed all the way in, it fits perfectly which is fine. If it will last 6 years I will be happy with it. So far, I am very pleased with the service and the price--$65 + shipping, which is the same as their standard T-Bird cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts