Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I deal with Mike ( he is the closest dealer to me in Lucan, Ontario ) all the time and most of his parts are OK, but some problems are I believe inevitable. NOS parts are slowly vanishing and aftermarket parts are not always properly made. For example in a front forks pinch bolts I got from Mike non threaded part is much too long compared to original and I have to make threaded part longer myself. ( It's not worth it to send these bolts back, pay double shipping and wait for a proper ones ). So the first problem is finding a shop with a proper British Cycle die and than convince him to do it. And doing it by hand is long and takes a lots of effort.
Some other parts Mike send me for my BSA bitsa are looking good from a distance, but are not right with closer scrutiny. I still wonder if my 3 phase "Lucas" stator will work with my original rotor, or I have to have a go with it first in a lathe. Lucas is Wassell brand now and quality of it's parts are all over the place.
But if Jay's main problem are carburator parts Mike should be a right person to go to.
One caveat - making a call to them you have to know parts numbers, so you need to have parts book for your bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A question vaguely related to this thread; I watched a video on youtube and heard someone pronounce "Amal" as "Am-L". I always thought to was "Aim-L". Which is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Awesome, thanks Scott!
1970 Triumph did not have turn signals from the factory. Where I live that means I don't need them legally but they are practically a necessity in today's trafficl
Yes, I read that they didn't come factory till 71/72. Unfortunately, my local laws demand that I have turn signals, so I'm looking for some small led lights to tuck away and not take away from the original look.
Very nice project.

I have tried most of the US and Canadian suppliers, and my favourite by far is Waldridges, located in Ontario, Canada, maybe close to you. Download their catalogue, then order by phone and ask for Mike if you have any doubt, I think he is the owner and has steered me right many times. Also, Can dollar prices, and no duty in Canada. Many others have faster delivery, and way better web sites, but you are more likely to get quality (not junk) and correct parts from these guys. But I have not tried Baxters, who may also be good.

I would try to clean and rebuild the carb, but you may find like I did, that it is easier and safer to simply buy new ones. They are not too expensive, and avoid problems with modern gas, sticking sliders, clogged jets, etc.

Almost done my 1970 Bonneville, which is very similar. Despite having to take apart and put back together every component at least three times, I envy you on the start of a fantastic project like this. Keep us posted.
I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I deal with Mike ( he is the closest dealer to me in Lucan, Ontario ) all the time and most of his parts are OK, but some problems are I believe inevitable. NOS parts are slowly vanishing and aftermarket parts are not always properly made. For example in a front forks pinch bolts I got from Mike non threaded part is much too long compared to original and I have to make threaded part longer myself. ( It's not worth it to send these bolts back, pay double shipping and wait for a proper ones ). So the first problem is finding a shop with a proper British Cycle die and than convince him to do it. And doing it by hand is long and takes a lots of effort.
Some other parts Mike send me for my BSA bitsa are looking good from a distance, but are not right with closer scrutiny. I still wonder if my 3 phase "Lucas" stator will work with my original rotor, or I have to have a go with it first in a lathe. Lucas is Wassell brand now and quality of it's parts are all over the place.
But if Jay's main problem are carburator parts Mike should be a right person to go to.
One caveat - making a call to them you have to know parts numbers, so you need to have parts book for your bike.
Part numbers are definitely a first step. I'll be on that today.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A question vaguely related to this thread; I watched a video on youtube and heard someone pronounce "Amal" as "Am-L". I always thought to was "Aim-L". Which is it?

Hi Happyfeet,
There were three carburettor companies, Binks, Brown & Barlow and Amac that joined together in 1927 to become Amalgamated Carburetters Ltd. In 1931 they changed their name to Amal Ltd.
I had always assumed Amal was pronounced the same as the first two syllables of Amalgamated.

regards
Peg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1972 Bonneville that is almost all original in the Boston area that runs well with 10,000mi. Anyone interested??? BoBZ

·
6,506 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have a 1972 Bonneville that is almost all original in the Boston area that runs well with 10,000mi. Anyone interested??? BoBZ
Post a new thread with details and a couple of photos, also mention the title status.

Several other posts if you check through his user name/profile.

Hth.

Regards,

·
6,506 Posts
Hi,

waking the sleeping beast.
Waking The Sleeping Beast. It was written primarily for triples; nevertheless, almost everything corresponds on your bike except the oil quantity into the crankcase, twins have a smaller crankcase volume so you maybe want to put only about a pint of oil into the crankcase through the primary chaincase filler.

1970 Triumph did not have turn signals from the factory. Where I live that means I don't need them legally but they are practically a necessity in today's trafficl
Unfortunately, my local laws demand that I have turn signals,
If you look at a '71-on wiring diagram, you'll see the wire colours Lucas added for turn signals. However, curiously, if you search the wiring harness on your bike, you might well find the ends of Green/Red and Green/White wires near the rear of the bike and where the main harness emerges inside the headlamp shell ... between those wires and the turn signal mounting holes in the grabrail gussets, it looks like Lucas, Triumph and BSA thought about turn signals for '70 but then stopped for some reason? :unsure: Whatever isn't in the harness, the standard wire colours are available most easily from British Wiring. (y)

For mounting at the front, use the fork shrouds and headlamp mounting 'ears' used on '71-'74 500's and '73/'74 T150's; they're bolt-on to your bike, the 'ears' have a hole each for mounting a turn signal but they're rubber-mounted on the shroud, unlike the standard ones on your bike. (y) Be aware that, while the 'ears' and rubber-mounting bits are the same on the '73-'78 OIF twins, the shrouds are about 1/4" shorter because the OIF fork yokes are that bit closer together ... (n)

It's relatively easy to replace the standard horn button/headlamp dip on the left handlebar with a bolt-on switch cluster that incorporates those functions plus a turn signals switch. I did this on by '69 T100 so, when you're ready, I'd be happy to provide details.

looking for some small led
(y) What I used on my T100. The holes in the headlamp ears and grabrail are 7/16" ID for standard Lucas turn signal stems. The signals I used had 8 mm. OD mounting stems/threads so I filled the gap with an off-the-shelf O-ring in each hole, which also protects the signals a little more from the vibes.

Hth.

Regards,

21 - 31 of 31 Posts