Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in London for 5 days and only counted about 5 Triumphs the entire trip! I was expecting to see one on every corner. I think I saw 5 bonnies in the first day of Paris alone. So where are all the London Triumph riders?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I work in London but my T100 stays safely locked in the garage at home whilst I take the train. Riding in London is not much fun and they now charge you for parking in the bike bays in Westminster. You do see Bonnies and other Triumphs, but scooters and various Jap bikes are much more common. Whilst there are riders who use Bonnies over here as every day transport, in my experience they are more likely be ridden for pleasure. Although if I worked somewhere that was a pleasant ride from my home I would use my bike for sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
yep , bonnies and Cafe Racers are fashion actualy in France.
You see lots of "classics" in adverts, but not only Triumphs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The riding style/culture in Paris blew my mind. The cars seemed to get out of the way and make room for the bikes/scooters!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to be at my desk at 7:00am. I probably see about five triumphs every morning (fifty fifty mix of classics and modern triples). The streets of London are relatively empty then and you get the odd little race with the likes of Ferraris down the Mall (really annoys them that their £100k+ toy is slower off the mark than a naked bike).

I tried riding to work late one morning an it was horrible. I'd probably rethink commuting on her if I had to deal with that every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was in Italy last year, I expected to see Guzzis and Ducatis.

The only Guzzis I saw were being ridden by the Carbinieri (big time cops) and a local vintage bike club in Florence.

I did see a few Ducatis but I saw more Triumphs and Harleys than other makes.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The riding style/culture in Paris blew my mind. The cars seemed to get out of the way and make room for the bikes/scooters!
That's the complete opposite of what happens in London. Over here they're out to kill you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seems to me that the traditional Triumph, by that I mean Bonneville and cafe racers are far more popular in America and Europe than they are in the UK! Don't ask me why this is, but since I've had my Bonnie nearly everything I read, or any after market parts I want are based in the US or Europe, but not so in the UK. I know about Norman Hyde here, but he is the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
386 Posts
out on mine nearly everyday rarely see another bonnie.
dont really use it for commuting as got to park it on the street so the £1.35 x 2 bus fare is not so bad in comparisson to leave the bike for all to see etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ive been to London twice, and both times saw a good mix of bikes. Perhaps unfairly I just went to the Ace for the best view.:D: Get out of London and you'll see many more.

·
Registered
444 Posts
:)Yep the same down here in Devon at my local dealers you are lucky to see more than three parked up including my own usualy in the M.O.T. bay:( Inside as of the moment 32 new & 22 used on display. I will admit that I dont ride every day only for fun, Been trying for ages to get Bonnie & Thruxton riders to get together down here only two replies.:mad:....As for other road users I find not that bad sometimes the idiot who will not give you room usualy BMW driver:rolleyes:...The other day when filtering a long line of traffic a Police car pulled over to let me though and flashed the car in front to do so:D How about that.........
T.U.D.:EnglandFlag

·
Registered
201 Posts
It seems to me that the traditional Triumph, by that I mean Bonneville and cafe racers are far more popular in America and Europe than they are in the UK! Don't ask me why this is, but since I've had my Bonnie nearly everything I read, or any after market parts I want are based in the US or Europe, but not so in the UK. I know about Norman Hyde here, but he is the exception rather than the rule.
Honourable mention here for sprint engineeing.

Barry

·
Registered
201 Posts
I work in London but my T100 stays safely locked in the garage at home whilst I take the train. Riding in London is not much fun and they now charge you for parking in the bike bays in Westminster. You do see Bonnies and other Triumphs, but scooters and various Jap bikes are much more common. Whilst there are riders who use Bonnies over here as every day transport, in my experience they are more likely be ridden for pleasure. Although if I worked somewhere that was a pleasant ride from my home I would use my bike for sure.

First Capital Connect?? I sympathise

Barry

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either way it was a great trip, wish I would have had a bike to ride around outside the city. We took a bus tour to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath, and those back roads would have been great on my speedy. The M4 maybe not so much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ride into central London 20 miles from South West, along the South Bank before heading over Waterloo Bridge, see plenty of Triumphs around but more Triples than Twins, so Bonnies are a bit of a novelty.

Which is nice because you get a few compliments at traffic lights.

An American guy on a cycle peddled up next to me recently "Hey buddy, a Bonneville - man that is an awesome bike!"

He was right.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The back roads around Bath are familiar territory Sam and 'yes', they are fun on a Speedy!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I spent three days in London last week. There were numerous Triumphs, mostly Striples, but also others. Only one modern classic per day, though.

Highlight was a cool Thrux, with an animal-print (leopard??) seat, with a sexy Pillion-rider :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a (south-east) London Bonneville rider. Very seldom see any Bonneville's in outer or greater London, the vast majority of powered two wheelers I see are scooters. They are very economical in London I suppose. However if I ever go into more centralised London (normally by train) I see a fair few Bonneville's parked up, although still a minority.

Luckily living in South-east London, I am very near the Kent border, and Kent has some lovely country roads to ride through. I very rarely ride further into London.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts