Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

When?

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Speedy Russ 
#1 · (Edited)
I was at a Club picnic Sunday. Talking to another member I learned when he renewed his Driver's license he did not renew his Cycle endorsement. He said too many idiots around here. This gentleman has or currently holds Salt Flat records.

My question is this at what point do you hang up your keys?

The gentleman in question is about 80. The oldest Rider I know is about 91. Sunday will be the Anniversary of my last ride Wednesday June 16 , 2010 about 930 pm CST. (Not that I am keeping records)

K

#2 ·
That's a tough question for sure. I'd gather it is a highly personal decision that is affected by several personal/psychological/physical factors. Personally, my time will probably be when I no longer have the motor skills necessary to ride safely. That or when I ride somewhere and forget how the hell I got there.

#5 ·
I had a friend go down three times over two group rides. The third time finally involved an ambulance ride, but she was OK. Each wreck was on an easy left-hand sweeper, and as it turns out the issue was she was going blind in her right eye. Thankfully she gave up riding. There are some ailments that make it unreasonable to push on.

#6 · (Edited)
Times have changed and so has the dangers on the roads. With so many people driving with their phone buried in their face and the DMV passing out licenses like candy on Halloween. Riders really need to be on their game. My father made the decision to give up his bike license on his last renewal. I told him it was a smart move, considering car drivers these days. He`s in his mid-70`s and one`s reaction times and processing skills are slowing down. Being that he lives alone, he refuses to be a burden if something were to happen. He really misses riding and I believe that he has some regrets about doing it. I told him go take a riding class and get the bike license back, but he`s declined to do so.
There are numerous reasons to make that decision and I respect them for it, I know it`s not easy for some. I know how much I enjoy riding and I`m not looking forward to that day. So enjoy it while you can.

#7 ·
When I get bored of riding. Which is getting close. I commute rain or shine all year 100 miles a day. It takes a toll, but lol, no tolls!

#12 ·
When they pry the keys from my cold dead hands.:cool:

Seriously, I have no idea when it will be time to hang up the keys, but I'll know when and act accordingly. I imagine it will come in stages, though, like maybe trading in the T120 for a lighter motorcycle and taking vacations in the car instead of on the bike. Who knows, though. I'm only 68 and it seems pretty foolish to me to be pondering this now.

Pete

#21 · (Edited)
Who knows, though. I'm only 68 and it seems pretty foolish to me to be pondering this now.

Pete
Pete.

Not a foolish thing to ponder the question. Old age and being a Senior only is for someone older than you. I remember when an older Uncle passed when I was 18 or 19. My Uncle was 69 at the time. Perspective is an interesting thing. Like is the glass half full or half empty?

I got slammed in 09 when I was 57. All of a sudden I could just barely walk, couldn't hold a screwdriver. Started to use a cane after the third quick trip down a flight of stairs.

At one time I was putting almost 20000 miles a year on 2/3 wheels on ice, snow or rain. Spent so much time in the rain I still don't use the wipers that much in the car. Now the wife reaches over the seat with a swat and says turn on the F'n wipers a whole.

Not looking for a Pity Party just stating facts about how fast things can change.

Regarding the statements on renewed licenses in Illinois there is retesting required at 75 years of age and every three years therafter.

K

#13 · (Edited)
I ride a lot less then I used to. I am 73 and passed my renewal a while back. Of course my reaction time is probably not as quick as when I was in my younger years, but you compensate by riding 75% instead of right on the edge. My reason for riding less is the crazy people out there ! The younger generations just have no respect for life. I alway try to give the other guy a little room for error. People here blow through stop signs, not because they missed it, but because they can. If you actually stop at a stop sign, the guy behind gets all impatient. Where I live, even at controlled intersections, when The light turns green look both ways ...TWICE ! ...J.D.

#15 ·
I don't see any reason to give up the motorcycle endorsement, even if I'm not riding anymore. Of course in this state (Maryland), it renews automatically at no additional cost. Maybe it's different in other states.

#16 ·
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, actually. Not because I think I'd give up riding in the foreseeable future, mind you. I am looking forward to retiring in a dozen years and spending most of my time on two wheels. I'll be in my early 60s by then.

No, I've been thinking those 'handing in my keys' thoughts because my sisters and I just convinced my dad to give up driving. He's 80, and has very debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. The old coot got me into motorcycle riding, and had to give it up about 12 years ago at age 68. I was visiting him in May and he told me stories that I had yet to hear, about how he and his Air Force buddies rode around on motorcycles while stationed in Japan. He said that he'd bought a 1961 Super Hawk and they traveled everywhere they were allowed to, and some places they weren't, in and around Tokyo in the early 1960s. I know he misses riding terribly. Up until about a year ago, he would like to sit on my bikes and start them up in the garage. He can't swing a leg over now, sadly.

So I think about that stuff and wonder if that will be me. I frankly can't even imagine it at this point. I am just now getting my kids interested in motorcycling, and it's my duty to pass the 'bug' along to them.

Today, I intend to ride until I pass. Be that tomorrow, or in 40 years. If I can't swing a leg over, I'll get a sidecar rig or a trike. After that I'll drop a Rocket III motor in a wheelchair.

Ok, done waxing on.

Reactions: Daddy Mac
#20 ·
What little I've seen of Delaware have been flat roads, PA and MD have lots of hills and corners.
You do want to avoid Rt 83, though, as it's basically a paved pothole which is constantly under construction with massive delays due to wrecks involving semis and deranged government workers texting on their phones.

#25 ·
What little I've seen of Delaware have been flat roads, PA and MD have lots of hills and corners.
I live in Maryland and ride a lot there and in Pennsylvania. Northeast Maryland (North of Bel Air and then up towards Lancaster in PA) has great roads, as does central & mid-western Maryland north of I-70, and anywhere in western Maryland (west of Hagerstown). But Delaware? Oh gawd, the flattest, most boring roads ever. A lot of Marylanders retire to Delaware for the lower taxes, but after riding there I refused to consider moving to Delaware prior to retiring because I couldn't stand the boring roads!

#22 · (Edited)
Out of the blue I was called in to take my renewal when I turned 72. I was suprized to hear from them because I had been called in a year or two before for an eye test. I was given a 5 year renewal at that time. So I will be 77 before I have to renew again. I don't ride at night much anymore. Since the weather warmed up, I have been blasting around town on my old America. Feels great ! But I think my eyesight will force me give it up before I have to renew again. Just enjoying it while it lasts. ...J.D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.