Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at the point where it is time to re-renter the litre bike class. I have had a great time on the 675. While it (675) is a great bike and a decent road bike, it will never be the road warrior that the Big Daytonas are. It's not the top end speed that I miss, but the torque and stability at speed.
The dealer, taking note of the '09 R1 liturature on my car seat, is trying to keep me calm by telling me that Triumph is coming back with an 1100 sport bike in 2010. I know Triumph guards new models like gold, but can anybody back this up? I would hate to spend another year waiting for the bike that isn't coming. I told myself two years on the 675 before going back to the +130 hp class.
I would hate to be without a Triumph in the garage, but the R1 feels as close to a triple on serious steroids as you can get.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The new big Daytona has been going to be released in twelve months ever since the 955i stopped production. The 955i never sold that well. I bought a new 2002 in 2005. Triumph made a brilliant motorcycle but the liter sport bike market only buys the bike that wins the (insert motorcyle magazine name here) comparison. The test marks several important milestones for this segment that occur in the following order
1.) All liter bikes made before the current production year are now officially crap because of the lack of significant design improvements like headlights and exhaust cans.
2.) The new bikes command top dollar for having these features through July 10 then are discounted.
3.) Conversation turns to how much better the bikes will be next year.

The Daytona never competed against this segment but unfortunately those of us who love it are appararently not a large enough group to sustain production. You can wait until next year but consider a Speed Triple with a factory fairing (very small) and add some clip-ons.
If you got to have the sport bike style and a liter bike you may have to downgrade to a Ducati or Aprilia.

Hey Brooksie - your already there with the duck!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would say if it has to be new wait. Im pretty sure Triumph has something nice up its sleeve in the liter class.

Your story is similar to my buddies. Look for his posts on the forum. his screen name is vffr1.

He has a 675 too. I let him ride my T595 and he fell in love. He was on the prowl for a 955. We located a 2003 955i and thats all she wrote!! you dont need the latest blade R1's or GSXRs. unless you are out there racing etc. The 955i is a real world bike.
I think this may quench your thirst for the liter class Triumph for now - its a good deal and low miles. I have been tempted to sell my T595 for this since this is what I was looking for when I couldnt pass up the deal on my T595. I would jump on it!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,820 Posts
The latest Japanese literbikes are so focused on winning the HP war at the top of the rev range, they've lost their midrange and bottom end. My friend has a CBR1000RR; we swapped for a few miles of primo mountain road, and while it was an amazing machine, I was very happy to get back on the used 955i I picked up for half the cost. When I twist the throttle, things happen, no matter where I am on the tach. That's a big part of the appeal of liter bikes. The 955i truly is the better street bike.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, +1 to Alex's eBay link.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new big Daytona has been going to be released in twelve months ever since the 955i stopped production. The 955i never sold that well. I bought a new 2002 in 2005. Triumph made a brilliant motorcycle but the liter sport bike market only buys the bike that wins the (insert motorcyle magazine name here) comparison. The test marks several important milestones for this segment that occur in the following order
1.) All liter bikes made before the current production year are now officially crap because of the lack of significant design improvements like headlights and exhaust cans.
2.) The new bikes command top dollar for having these features through July 10 then are discounted.
3.) Conversation turns to how much better the bikes will be next year.

The Daytona never competed against this segment but unfortunately those of us who love it are appararently not a large enough group to sustain production. You can wait until next year but consider a Speed Triple with a factory fairing (very small) and add some clip-ons.
If you got to have the sport bike style and a liter bike you may have to downgrade to a Ducati or Aprilia.

Hey Brooksie - your already there with the duck!
Good points! Yeah, I think anything over 140 mph is pretty much silly bench racing that 90% of the riders out there (myself included) can not sustain. I've been dying since I lost the '05 955. The bike was just the greatest. Probably because Triumph did not compete with the Big Four and did what they thought would be a great street bike. I'm not one for the latest hype on bikes. An 07/08 liter would be MORE than enough. The GT1000 is more like a Bonneville on steroids. Anything under 100 hp is for going to the grocery store with.

I would say if it has to be new wait. Im pretty sure Triumph has something nice up its sleeve in the liter class.

Your story is similar to my buddies. Look for his posts on the forum. his screen name is vffr1.

He has a 675 too. I let him ride my T595 and he fell in love. He was on the prowl for a 955. We located a 2003 955i and thats all she wrote!! you dont need the latest blade R1's or GSXRs. unless you are out there racing etc. The 955i is a real world bike.
I think this may quench your thirst for the liter class Triumph for now - its a good deal and low miles. I have been tempted to sell my T595 for this since this is what I was looking for when I couldnt pass up the deal on my T595. I would jump on it!!!!!!!!!
Nah, I don't do track days. In fact, I kinda liked the 955's extra heft for dealing with real roads. I just miss that hyperspace grunt of the big engine. I think you may be on to something with the used bike, however. After I bought the 675 (no regrets), the dealer got an '05 955 Limited in. A good used one with a good history may be better than one that has sat at a dealer for two years.

The latest Japanese literbikes are so focused on winning the HP war at the top of the rev range, they've lost their midrange and bottom end. My friend has a CBR1000RR; we swapped for a few miles of primo mountain road, and while it was an amazing machine, I was very happy to get back on the used 955i I picked up for half the cost. When I twist the throttle, things happen, no matter where I am on the tach. That's a big part of the appeal of liter bikes. The 955i truly is the better street bike.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, +1 to Alex's eBay link.
Agreed, but that new R1 pulls pretty good down low. In fact, the Big Four bikes are trying to get more "useable" power for street riders. You some up the appeal pretty well. You don't have to rev the snotski out of the bike to make it jump. The 675 is a great bike, don't get me wrong. Out of the 600 class, it is the best one. The engine is great, as well as handling/chassis.
I just miss that 70+ ft lbs.

You guys are the best! Thanks for the indulgence!

·
Registered
462 Posts
That new R1 is very interesting with the new cross plane crankshaft . Apparently bookoo improved low end torque. Supposedly there main goal was to provide a more balanced power delivery from throttle response. From what I have read on it a lot of it helps with improved cornering, quicker exits with stronger drive our of corners . Better traction control with the way the engine is balanced , reduced engine braking etc. But its not a Triumph or a triple. Next to a Triumph it would be my choice for a litre bike though . What kind of price are they in your area?

Hell it helped Rossi win another world championship. If it was good enough for VR should be good enough for anyone! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
In all the tests I have seen the torque and maximum power of the new R1 are lower than the major competitors (GSXR or CBR), but the testers speak of an ease of using the power..... sounds like marketing to me - if you can't see the torque on a dyno, I don't know how you can feeeeeeel it.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That new R1 is very interesting with the new cross plane crankshaft . Apparently bookoo improved low end torque. Supposedly there main goal was to provide a more balanced power delivery from throttle response. From what I have read on it a lot of it helps with improved cornering, quicker exits with stronger drive our of corners . Better traction control with the way the engine is balanced , reduced engine braking etc. But its not a Triumph or a triple. Next to a Triumph it would be my choice for a litre bike though . What kind of price are they in your area?

Hell it helped Rossi win another world championship. If it was good enough for VR should be good enough for anyone! :D
No, it is not a Triumph. That's the sorrow of it. I think Triumph has succeded in killing of the supply of 955 engines and has had a few years to develop the wonderful 675 chassis to perfection. The logic that Triumph does not want to compete in this market strikes me as odd from a company that is poised to really put a dent into the sport bike market.

In all the tests I have seen the torque and maximum power of the new R1 are lower than the major competitors (GSXR or CBR), but the testers speak of an ease of using the power..... sounds like marketing to me - if you can't see the torque on a dyno, I don't know how you can feeeeeeel it.
Having test driven both R1's, I can tell you that numbers do not tell the whole story. Flat out, there is little difference in top end. In fact the '08 felt hotter at speed and is definately lighter. The '09 does feel like a triple down low and the power is more linear than the '08. The technology of the newer bike does work. Little features like dual headlights, adjustable pegs, variable mapping, updated suspension ect. show a nice touch. The newer bike is also more comfortable. Is it worth almost 4k difference in price? Compare it to the Ducati at 16k or the non-existent Triumph. I'd love to see Triumph get back into the open class rep bike business again. It would take bigger nuts than they may have.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Here we are again Brooksie, we have been having this conversation for three years now!!! I was bored of waiting so went out on a New R1, old R1, GSXR 1000 K8, Hyabusa, and 08 Blade, result, I fit the Tona so much better, its ergo's are big enough for comfort it does what I need on the road with supreme comfort even 750 mile days, it sounds good, all the bikes I tested where fantastic, they all went very very fast ................ but still got my tona as all round for all jobs it still does the business. If the "new" tona is as leaked the size of the 675 then its not going to be for me.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here we are again Brooksie, we have been having this conversation for three years now!!! I was bored of waiting so went out on a New R1, old R1, GSXR 1000 K8, Hyabusa, and 08 Blade, result, I fit the Tona so much better, its ergo's are big enough for comfort it does what I need on the road with supreme comfort even 750 mile days, it sounds good, all the bikes I tested where fantastic, they all went very very fast ................ but still got my tona as all round for all jobs it still does the business. If the "new" tona is as leaked the size of the 675 then its not going to be for me.
+1 on that! Triumph made a very comfortable bike. The 955 was a great all day sport bike. I guess I am overlooking the Sprint here and it is a really cool road bike. I think that may be the best fit since I don't get along with really light bikes in a wind storm.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another alternative would be to put the daytona on a crash diet. Lighter stubby can, weld up a solo subframe, go with either a new inverted fork or a buell fork..... Tuneboy, K and N, velocity stacks, maybe a cam/injector upgrade. Still will cost less to own and insure than a new litre.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Just get another 955 tona brooksie, we will be old men before the new one comes out, going to have to face it, the 955 daytona was a bike that those of us who ride it and love are a minority we are a very rare breed, we will be riding them forever cos they aint going to make a new version that fits us, its either keep our tona's or we are going to have to find a Jap equivalent, right now a Kawasaki ZX10R is favourite for me.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just get another 955 tona brooksie, we will be old men before the new one comes out, going to have to face it, the 955 daytona was a bike that those of us who ride it and love are a minority we are a very rare breed, we will be riding them forever cos they aint going to make a new version that fits us, its either keep our tona's or we are going to have to find a Jap equivalent, right now a Kawasaki ZX10R is favourite for me.
ZX10 is a pure beast and cheap too. I'm gonna hang on until I find a great D955 or this fall when the Jap litre bikes from '08/'09 really drop in price. If I could find a D955 I'd be in heaven. Couple of dealers have used ones in yellow, just not a fan of that color. It's gotta be black or maybe red. Thanks doodle!

·
Registered
311 Posts
ZX10 is a pure beast and cheap too. I'm gonna hang on until I find a great D955 or this fall when the Jap litre bikes from '08/'09 really drop in price. If I could find a D955 I'd be in heaven. Couple of dealers have used ones in yellow, just not a fan of that color. It's gotta be black or maybe red. Thanks doodle!
whats the hold up? plenty of good tonas out there. here is one with 508 miles. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320365229820&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just not very flattering pics for a bike that far away. I found this one and may jump it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170329425136
I just need to find a home for my 675 first and not having any takers.
well, the one I sent you had 508 miles? this one has 8,000 and the lame union jack sticker. Im not a fan of the 04-06 Kawi headlights either. I bought my T595 from a guy in Mass. Shipped to California.
regardless, you get what makes you happy!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts