Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, A question, where can I buy aluminum rims , laced and tires for my '67 Tiger 100C . The original steel rims are heavily rusted and I think the bike will benefit with new ones. Tires would not be a problem I'm guessing? K70's seem to be available or something a little more knobbly? any info appreciated Regards Mango Florida

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wheels

Thank you Grand Paul and thank you Andy , I pulled up Buchanans web site and I must admit I'm a bit out of my depth as far as what to chose , I have a T100C that I'd like to restore as a bit of an off road machine as it was intended so what are my best bet for rims given I will be running some kind of dual purpose tyre or even knobblies? any advice greatly appreciated Mango Florida

·
Registered
348 Posts
food for thought

you want to go on and off road?

rims are rusty how about spokes?

if not sand blast rim ring and paint black and leave spokes chrome(looks great) you can use cheap drinking straws to cover spokes as you paint rim ring or paint all of it one color .

this will set you back $5-10. 2 new rims,spokes, tire remounted, etc well more than $5-10.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wheels

dog those wheels look great . Yes I have to go on road to go off road . I am more concerned about the wheels being structurally sound than their appearance. Thanks for your input i'd like to see a shot of those wheels on your bike

·
Registered
348 Posts
those rims are around $1000 and are on buddies H.D.
power coated, stainless spoke, billet hub,$$$

but you can do the same affect on the cheap

I look for a pic.

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
I have re-chromed rims that had surface rust only. If I had to pay to just get one rim re-chromed, it would be expensive; however, I sent them in with a large lot of parts to be done, so it ended up affordable.

YOU MUST ENSURE THAT THE RIM IS ALSO STRAIGHT!

Wasting the cost of re-chroming on a bent wheel is a lost cause.

New rims are relatively affordable, especially for the peace of mind that it's 100% sound and straight.

When ordering the rim, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT PART NUMBER. Simply ordering an 18", 40-spoke rim WON'T WORK! The nipple order and angle is critical to match the hub it's laced to. Also, if you have a non-original hub for that bike, using the part number from the book will goof you up, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts