Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question for those more knowledgeable than myself.

I am about to order some new spoked wheels and would like any advise on polished alloy rims versus chromed steel rims. Are the alloys prone to corrosion? I've only ever had chromed steel which are pretty hard wearing.

I'm also hugely tempted by wider rims. Does anyone know how wide I can comfortably go before clearance on the chain becomes an issue? I was looking at possibly a 5.5 inch rim for the rear.

If I widen the rear should I also widen the front a little too? Don't want to bugger the handling.

Lastly a question of taste.

Black powder coated spokes against polished rims? Or, Polished spoked and rims?

Many, many thanks for anyone who can help me out here.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Coated alloy rims (as opposed to just polished) should have less of a corrosion problem than chromed steel & be a bit lighter for improved handling (lower unsprung weight).

You don't say what bike you have or what sizes you have now ? From what I've read, putting wider rims on (& wider tyres) won't neccessarily improve things & could make them worse. That said, the T3 range of triples did fit slightly different diameters & widths to bikes which seem to have similar suspension geometries.

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't say what bike you have or what sizes you have now ?

Oops, sorry IrlMike. I have a 2000 TBS. Stock wheels at the moment (3.5 front & 4.5 rear I think).

My reason for moving up the rim size a little is mainly for the look but also for better rubber choice. And seeing as it wouldn't cost any more for the wider rim I figured why not :)

If It's going to cause handling issues then I might stick to stock size. Although, as you said, the other T3 models had slightly wider profiles without any problems.

Again, all input is welcome.

Cheers,

Wayne

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
As a rule wider rear tires tend to make the bike harder to hold over in a turn.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Ah, ok, you have a TBS. I'm pretty sure it has the same as the Legend, 3.5 front 4.25 rear. I don't think there's much to gain by changing the front - you already have the widest choice of current sport or sport touring tyres. A 4.5 rear might be a good choice for the rear as you could use slightly wider rubber but still fit a stock size if it didn't suit. Some of the major tyre makers give their recommended rim size range on their websites. Usually a given tyre size can be fitted to at least 2 rim sizes, often 3. IIRC I looked this up in relation to fitting a 170/60 rear (instead of 160/60) mainly to raise the rear slightly & raise gearing. However, the tyre makers specify a minimum rim size of 4.5 for this tyre. I may yet try it as the difference isn't huge, but it would obviously be better to have the right rim.
The TBS is a different story tho' as it's already taller at the back due to a longer shock...tho' new linkage 'dogbones' could be easily made to compensate.
All things to be considered when looking at different tyre size options....
If you need a copy of the TB/TBS gearing Excel spreadsheet to check out various combinations, pm me your email & I'll send it over.
Cheers
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts