Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spokes on my 1966 T100c are in good shape but are a dull grey finish. I've used the shoestring method of polishing with a couple different metal polishes but it is very time consuming and its hard to do an effective job. Instead I'm planning to remove one spoke at a time, clean it, polish it, lube it, replace it and tune it to the adjacent spokes, etc. My first priority is cheapness. I don't want to pay someone to re-lace the wheels and I figure if I do one spoke at a time they will remain as true as they were to begin with. Am I courting disaster? Is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's a good question. I lace a lot of wheels and don't really have an answer. My guess is that it is worth a try, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Might be a bit much of an ask for it to remain true and it may be more successful to remove a pair at a time,one adjacent spoke from each flange but make sure to measure offset first.
But really they are easy wheels to lace with both sides having straight spokes and there is plenty of info around on various forums on relacing and truing up

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting theory....

Kind of like restringing a guitar, one string at a time. I think you might be onto something. Let us know how it works!

·
Premium Member
9,503 Posts
if your spokes were galvanised, then what you're doing is pointless.

The first spoke that you polish will return to a dull finish before you've done the last. Or you'll remove all of the zinc.

If you're going to all that hassle, replace with chrome or stainless

1 - 5 of 5 Posts