Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I agree. Not as important as it used to be 40-45 years ago.:eek:
Haven't really tried on the Thruxton, but my old Katana was great fun over rises.

1982. Buddy had just bought a new Husky and I was taking pictures.
Idea was for him to wheelie by and I would get a picture of him riding off into the woods. Turned my back, focused the camera, and listened to him go through the gears. Got a great shot of the Husky, front end at about 45 degrees to the trail, front wheel cocked to the side. Trouble was there was no John. He had fallen off right before he got to me. Great shot, though.

Good times.:rolleyes:
That's funny! Do you still have the photo? If so you should scan it and post it up for all to see!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Too hard on fork seals.
Also too hard on my spine (car accident in 1998.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
1982. Buddy had just bought a new Husky and I was taking pictures.
Idea was for him to wheelie by and I would get a picture of him riding off into the woods. Turned my back, focused the camera, and listened to him go through the gears. Got a great shot of the Husky, front end at about 45 degrees to the trail, front wheel cocked to the side. Trouble was there was no John. He had fallen off right before he got to me. Great shot, though.
I'd love to see that picture.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
No. It got "misplaced" with most of my bike racing stuff a couple of divorces ago.
One of many mis adventures John and I shared over 7 years of AMA racing. Can't count the number of times I would come around a corner to find him corkscrewed on the ground from leaves on the trail or an unexpected mud hole.
His favorite story on me was the Odenville adventure.
1980 Odenville, Alabama Enduro
We get there a little before dark and set up paddock. I grab a lantern and head to the port-o-let
There was a high school band sorta entertaining a short distance away.
Sitting there doing my busy when I notice people talking and laughing outside. After a few minutes I hear it getting louder.
What the hey?? Then I notice the shadow on the wall....
Seems there are no secrets when you have a lantern beside you in a fiberglass port-o-john.
Finish my business, pick up my latern and walk out like I knew what I was doing.
The whole paddock crowd had left the band stand area and was laughing at the idiot in the john. John just shook his head when I got back to the camper.
Yep, Good times.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
l cannot imagine what a high wheelie would do to your steering head bearings. Nor what chance you have if it tankslaps. Did have a TZ 250 once , nuff said!!.

·
Registered
176 Posts

21 - 26 of 26 Posts