Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the hang of wheelies, revs, sound ect. but did one today and front came up a lot easier and higher than was used to, yeah a near empty tank compared to a full one. Beware the difference is quite a lot and can catch the eager novice off guard. My mate on his Duke behind said it was a good one though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Let's talk a bit about wheelies shall we....?

I've had a Suzuki Katana 600, Honda CBR F3, CBR F4i and now the S3.

I have never had the front wheel off the ground on any of these bikes.

Honestly, it scares the **** out of me to even think about it. But that doesn't mean I have never tried. :)

I read in an article in Superbike Magazine that if you can't make the Speed Triple wheelie, you need to accept the fact that you just were not born to wheelie......lol I'm beginning to think they are right!

To be honest, I am totally afraid of trashing my bike and my body when I flip it over or come down sideways.

But, it would be kinda cool to have the front wheel lift off the ground 6-12" when leaving from a red light or something.

How the heck do you guys do it? You surely all have bigger family jewels than I do. :evil:

JOHN

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It gets easier after the first time ya drop it on landing. :-D

·
Registered
885 Posts
On 2006-11-09 16:08, graciejohn2 wrote:
I read in an article in Superbike Magazine that if you can't make the Speed Triple wheelie, you need to accept the fact that you just were not born to wheelie......lol I'm beginning to think they are right!

But, it would be kinda cool to have the front wheel lift off the ground 6-12" when leaving from a red light or something.

How the heck do you guys do it? You surely all have bigger family jewels than I do.
Here you go, the Superbike method..

·
Registered
583 Posts
at a red light,, when it turns green grab full throttle in 1st then when it's just about to hit 8k drop that clutch,,,,, you'll come out just fine, heheheheheh
your bike might still be airborne after you've stood up off your ass.

ps, i take no responsibility for the outcome of taking these actions.

seriously wheelies,, just practice, start slow and small, get used to hard acceleration, go from closed to full throttle faster and faster until you feel the front lifting,, then put it down, do it agian, don't try to be a show-off untill you've got it. i'm at the point where i just click from closed to full then back off when i hit bp.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bluejeans is hearby and henceforth know as "The Squid Killer". Thanx for the informative video. I shall now go out and try to do a two mile wheelie in traffic.
:hammer:
:upthumb:

·
Registered
337 Posts
On 2006-11-09 16:08, graciejohn2 wrote:
Let's talk a bit about wheelies shall we....?

I've had a Suzuki Katana 600, Honda CBR F3, CBR F4i and now the S3.

I have never had the front wheel off the ground on any of these bikes.

Honestly, it scares the **** out of me to even think about it. But that doesn't mean I have never tried. :)

To be honest, I am totally afraid of trashing my bike and my body when I flip it over or come down sideways.

How the heck do you guys do it? You surely all have bigger family jewels than I do. :evil:

JOHN

ABSOFRICKEN LOOTLY....From stoplight it is kick a-- and what a shot in the arm. Makes the stupid gager look pretty silly too.sean

·
Registered
973 Posts
Was washing my bike a few days ago in prep for winter storage, i know, i know, shut up already about the storage. Anyway, i was daydreaming about how i have never broke the rear tire loose. ***** thing just bites. Anyway, the wife and junior were across the street visiting nieghbors so when i finished i figured, what the hell. Tire in a big puddle of water, how hard could it be to give it a good zing? Started her up, two bars, 4 grand on the tach, slip the clutch, N O SPIN. The front end came up about 4 feet, left hand slipped off the bar, niether foot on any peg, eyes as big as plates, and i remember a sort of woman type scream coming from somewhere. It all happened so fast. I let off the throttle, prolly not on purpose, and when the front tire hit the ground my nads slammed hard into the tank, i mean HARD. When i finally stopped i was in the middle of the street. Had to save faceo i blipped the throttle a couple times and drove slowly up the street and back, just to dry it dont ya know. Parked in the drive and while gritting my teeth walked over to a big oak and sat down beside it tryin to catch my breathe and hoping no one had seen that, especially the wife. I'am ok now, thanks. Only thing is, my oldest brother, who moved in directly across the street from me starts yellin out his window and laughing, nice going hotrod, that was really cool, do it again dipshti. All i could muster was an anemic, Michael Jackson sounding, high pitched Screw you a$$hole. Ah yes, good times, GOOD TIMES. :-D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Itchin i'm sorry for your misfortune but WELL WORDED! :bday: I went into an uncontrollable chuckle fit about halfway through your laugh inducing anecdote. Seriously tho.... sorry about ur ballz :eek:

:gpst:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sweeeet. A ticket on the last day of riding beats the hell out of puttin her away beat up! At least the nads and ego are the only things that came out of it with damage.

A buddy of mine and I are headin' over to Hickey's at noon today Itchin. He wants to check out the Victorys... and the new Hooters across the street. I'd see if you were interested in a ride but I know you've got to rest your nads for a few months. :-D

As for the wheelies graciejohn, someone informed me (I have an 03) of this procedure:
In first gear get up to about 28 mph, let off the throttle and then crack it open again. Wheel comes up and you've got some forward momentum. It definitely works though I'm too chicken to get up high or keep one going.

[ This message was edited by: Andhedrew on 2006-11-10 09:58 ]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Am I the only one that suggest you learn on a dirtbike first? At least you dont feel bad when you dump it.... you can always buy some new plastics for a hundred bucks and some soft soil will hurt ALOT less when you fawk up

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
On 2006-11-10 11:45, Drunktank wrote:
Am I the only one that suggest you learn on a dirtbike first? At least you dont feel bad when you dump it.... you can always buy some new plastics for a hundred bucks and some soft soil will hurt ALOT less when you fawk up
don't listen to him guys, he's just drunk! :razz: I actually agree that it's a good idea drunk, but if ya don't have a dirt bike(like I didn't), it's not really all that bad learn'n on yer streetbike, just remember, baby steps! :-D I have to admit though, it helps if ya got yeller! :wink: :-D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I suck at wheelies and couldn't get the front end up at all on the S3 when I first got it. I have to bounce the front a little to get it started.

Get up to about 3000 rpm in first gear. close the throttle and then whack the throttle. The closing/opening gives you the bounce. The front end will come right up for me when I do that.

Having said that, I almost never do wheelies. I freak out too much when the front comes up. I really wish I didn't but I do.

·
Registered
979 Posts
At wheelies i am f*#^ed,i normally have the arse puckering factor to contend with,but it's fun trying. :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
646 Posts
On 2006-11-09 17:08, jrussell6 wrote:
...seriously wheelies,, just practice, start slow and small, get used to hard acceleration, go from closed to full throttle faster and faster until you feel the front lifting,, then put it down, do it agian, don't try to be a show-off untill you've got it. i'm at the point where i just click from closed to full then back off when i hit bp.
I'd take his advise..I've seen him at 10-o'clock making them look easy as pie..

·
Registered
120 Posts
The best mono I ever pulled was when I was young and in-experienced, pulled a huge 3rd gear mono for about 300mt then panicked and pulled in the clutch, bike came down I slid down the seat into the tank and crushed the family jewels, saw stars for a while but man it was a great mono.

·
Registered
283 Posts
No need to bounce the S3 to wheelie. This thing will do them just fine with stock gearing and the throttle. Roll off a stop, slide back in the seat a bit, at about 3k rpm just crack her open. They are easier to get up and control on this bike than any other I've owned. Good rule of thumb, always cover the rear brake with your foot and start small.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am in the same chickensh*t boat as everyone else. I know how to do it, I have read it a thousand times, watched the videos. My problem is that every time I feel it come up my better judgement gets the best of me and I roll off. I keep thinking about how little it is really worth it...the risk that is. If I dumped it at 40 for just being a tard I would punch myself in the face.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts