Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trued my rear wheel this weekend. Tedious, but I got it less than 1 mm, both in the round and from side to side.

But if you look at my tire from behind when spun while mounted on the bike, you can detect a slight wobble (but no hop). Not huge, but noticeable--maybe 2.5 mm. I guess I'm anal, but after so much time getting the wheel trued, it bugged me to find that the tire was not quite right. Is this much out-of-true at the tire to be expected? Is it OK?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, I have seen the same problem! The OEM Metzeler front had a distinct axial run-out...probably 2-3+mm which was easily seen if you glanced down quickly while riding. On a second glance you would see that the front rim itself running quite true, with little discernible run-out.

Needless to say, this had an ill effect on front end stability, both in a straight line, and especially when cornering with the contact patch dancing around! That tire is now in the landfill, and even my 'temporary' Cheng-Shin Barracuda runs very true on the same rim, and it grips surprisingly well! (Hey... I can hear snickering!:laughhard:)

I'm swapping to a 17" front wheel which is being polished right now, and I just put the Cheng on there temporarily (it's nearly new and was in my garage) so I could ride...I just couldn't stand one more mile of that crappy warped Metz!

I really like my new Pirelli Diablo rear, and can hardly wait to get it's mate up there on the front end!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts