Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

Took the '02 1200 in for some new tires and they found some bad wheel bearings. The service manager went so far as to ask me if I used a power washer on the bike, which I don't. I bought the bike there and they've been very good with any problems I've had. The bike has about 28,000 on it. If any of you remember, I asked about a "whine" at road speed last summer, and I'm hoping this is the cure, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had wheel bearing problems on their Trophys.

Just curious, that's all: Jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
I changed mine

I had to change out the front wheel bearings on my bike about a year ago. It had >50k miles on it at the time. They were squawking after I took the bike up the 15-mile cobblestone road to Real de Catorce in Mexico. Since then, I've also had the steering head bearings replaced, but the bike now has more than 70k miles on it, so I think I'm getting a decent life from the bearings.

Hope changing yours fixes the problem.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy,

I guess it's not all that uncommon for the bearings to go on these bikes; the Trophy Owners website had a few folks tell me the same basic stories. My head bearings are still fine and so are my brakes (which I thought by now would need re-doing). I guess these big bikes are harder on them; my '70 Tiger and my old '84 Virago are still on their originals, as far as I know.

Well, if the road-speed "howl" is gone, it'll be a bonus: Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wheel bearings are cheap consumables. Replace if in doubt.

I nearly got around to replacing them in my '95 Trophy 900, but I sold it recently with 175,000km on the clock - on the original wheel bearings which felt fine. Steering head bearings were done at 135,000km. Many people I know have changed them well before this.

The chap I buy my bearings from replaces his wheel bearings every second tyre, say 20,000km (on his H*nda ST11). He says they might feel fine but can be on the way out, rolling at 100km/h or so is a lot different to a casual spin of the wheel by hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts