Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knocked out the rear ones today as on the MOT for the past two years they state some play in them..(front too) I've been keeping an eye out to make sure they are ok and all has been good but they are all getting done now for peace of mind...

Now I've come to order up some more and had a little extra time as work was snowed off today so was looking on Simply bearings web site, I was going to order from Sprint manufacturing as previosly as I need a few bits but saw something that may have explained the Loose/play feeling at the wheels, the bearings that are were fitted have C3 marked on the inner or outer race, now according to Simply Bearings C3 is a rating for high speed applications where heat or a build up of heat may happen and the clearances in the bearing are loose from the factory to allow for expansion in these conditions.....they also state C3 is not for Motorbike wheels, all the rest of the spec and quality is the same apart from this http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p6...ove+Ball+Bearing+20x47x14mm/product_info.html if you follow the link and click on the C3 explained icon.

The play in the wheels was minor and didn't get any worse so I'm thinking this C3 spec is the cause, I have ordered standard clearance bearings to replace these and will see how I go.

None of this may be an issue ? and I'm not sure what the factory spec is but should your MOT man keep on mentioning your loose wheels bear this in mind when eliminating possible causes.

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Well bugger me Mot, your on the money. The originals we knocked out the other day are not C3 and the replacements from sprint are indeed C3.

What do you think, get a refund from sprint and order up some non-c3 types for the rebuild? Even minor movement I wouldn't expect to play nice with brakes.

It's a little odd however that simply bearings bullets on the bearing you linked too suggest they are suitable for "Cars & Motorcycle repairs" then go onto contradict that in their explanation of a C3 rated bearing. Maybe a phone call might clear this up?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm this post is interesting http://www.laverdaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=41988.0 and would indicate quite a few manufactures may specify a C3 fitment when the bearing is a press fit...but A quick google of C3 bearings brings up a Simply Bearings PDF which says "Applications such a Motorbike or bicycle wheels do not require the fitment of C3 bearings, if used they could cause unecassary, and potentialy unsafe, wheel movement at speed. This is due to the loose fit of the bearing parts until at operating temperature"

So take your pick both right and both wrong, as I'm not dead I suppose the bearings have been fine, the MOT passed them two years on the trot...although the same comment was made a few years ago for my front wheel at the same MOT station and I replaced the bearings (to be on the safe side) but the bearings that came out where smooth and seemed fine at the time !? maybe another C3......

I'm going to fit the standard clearance bearings and see how I go, if no good I'll soon know both wheels will lock up and spit me off ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well bugger me Mot, your on the money. The originals we knocked out the other day are not C3 and the replacements from sprint are indeed C3.

What do you think, get a refund from sprint and order up some non-c3 types for the rebuild? Even minor movement I wouldn't expect to play nice with brakes.

It's a little odd however that simply bearings bullets on the bearing you linked too suggest they are suitable for "Cars & Motorcycle repairs" then go onto contradict that in their explanation of a C3 rated bearing. Maybe a phone call might clear this up?
Just clocked you saying the old ones weren't C3, is that the rear and the front ? the plot thickens, I'm going to have this wheel back in for the weekend and spin it up and feel how it is, then cross reference with me Sprint Sport and see how that feels will let you know what happens ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the new bearings are in and I've popped the wheel back in...spun it up and given it a good waggle, no play in it, I've taken a look at the Sprints rear wheel and given that a waggle..no play in it. All that's left now is to wait for this poxy snow to go the roads to become salt free and run it !

So far so good ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes...probably no more than a mm at the rim I suppose. I replaced both the rear wheel bearings with non C3 and have two none C3 bearings waiting to go in the front..when the front is off the ground I'll give that a waggle too to see how it feels.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was doing some odd jobs for a client of mine today and dropped the oil out of a Chinese 125 scooter a Vespa 250i and a Tmax and had a waggle of all the wheels whilst up on the ramp...all rock solid, none with the play I had on the S3, still don't think it was dangerous but not where I wanted to be, I can understand the idea of a C3 bearing if the bearing is drifted in to a housing (like on our wheels) but tbh the press fit of our wheels isn't immense and I can't see it changing the diameter of the outer race and binding the bearing !?? maybe the sprocket carrier bearing as it is under load could get warm but even then ?

Anyway just thinking out loud I suppose ;-)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The chaps at sprint kindly accepted too refund my c3 bearings sent out recently. They didn't have non-c3 bearings in stock unfortunately. With all the fancy crap I've got lined up for the rebuild I want to eliminate any possible sources of future problems.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Ordered new bearings from http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/. Just used the bearing codes on the side of the sprint supplied Koyo bearings but made sure I got non-c3 bearings.

Happy Days.

Front - 60052RS x 2
Rear - 62042RS & 63042RS

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right ho folks just a quick update....fitted the standard bearing to the rear a while back rode the bike all seemed fine..fitted the standard bearing to the front the other week but because of biblical wet weather haven't had a chance to give em a spin...but...this afternoon gave a window so out I snuck.

By the time I had reached the end of the road I could feel the difference in them..I had my front end back ! you wouldn't think the tiny play in those C3 bearing would do much but on a 17 inch wheel the run out at the rim is enough for it to start to move around, both wheels having them and you can start to imagine how both wheels are moving a couple of mm each tracking bumps and stuff feeding back a general feel off mild nervousness through the bars and pegs.

I was also getting a mild shudder at the last rolling stage of braking and have had this for some time..never getting worse and controlable by easing off and using the rear but this also seems to have gone..I can only thing the play in the bearing started of a shudder that built it's own frequency resulting in a sort of clatter !?

Sooo the end result for me is check the spec of your bearings and if they are C3 replace for standard clearance stuff ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
490 Posts
MoT i need some bearing for my Daytona 1000 any idea on the size you ordered, i assume they would be the same. They are for front wheel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts