Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to gather numerous wheel and spoke cleaning methods that are used by others. Please provide your tips. There has to be a better way???

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Bel Ray "Cleaner" Chain Wax for the chain.
Doesn't fling, protects the chain, less clean up.

Wipe your wheels down periodically with some WD40, then spray some kind of cleaner/polish/wax on 'em & BUFF.

S100 cleaner, but water is your bike's enemy..... just clean it with bike shampoo & water when you wanna look tough-n-fine to impress others.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have been using "Wheel Magic" by Blue Coral for decades. It used to be sold by the same name but as a Westley's product but now is sold by Blue Coral. You can get it at Auto Zone. This stuff works great, spray it on and only brush really nasty spots. I use the same stuff on my mountain bike and my bikes always look brand new.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Like Pat, I use WD40 to remove the crud from the wheels, especially the chain lube that gets flung onto the rear wheel. If I'm feeling really anal retentive and want to clean the spokes, I use WD40 for this also, by wetting an area of a shop rag and rubbing the spokes with it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Make sure it's okay for spoked motorcycle wheels. I was looking at some spray-on/hose-off wheel cleaners at Auto Zone and they cautioned about use on motorcycles. One rule of thumb I've read and believe is that if a product is strong enough to really be spray-on/hose-off, it's probably too strong. I use Griot's Garage wheel cleaner and a soft sponge.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I use S100 Wheel Cleaner.I first wet down the rims and spokes then spray the cleaner on.Scrub a little between the spokes and then power wash with clean water .They come out very clean .I wish I had a Grunge brush to speed things up

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used to use S100, which works very well, but then I started to get cencerned about rust forming on the inside of the steel rims, since there's so much rinsing with water involved in the cleaning of the bike and it's rims that way. Now I use Simple Green wipes to remove dirt, dust and grime, they're non abrasive so you won't scratch the finish as you wipe the bike off, but you'll use up many, many wipes in the process, especially on the wheels. And I also use the Bel Ray Super Clean Chain Lube, it's true that it doesn't fling off on to the rims. I use Pledge Wipes after the Simple Green ones, because the Pledge Wipes have some wax fruntiure polish ingredients in them, and then I give a nice soft buff with a 100% cotton terry cloth. I've found the results to be as good as using the S100 but I don't have to worry about the rust issues now. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Until I got the Simple Green I used the WD-40. Now I clean with the Green and use the WD-40 as an after-wash protector.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-12-02 16:20, badrufus wrote:
Make sure it's okay for spoked motorcycle wheels. I was looking at some spray-on/hose-off wheel cleaners at Auto Zone and they cautioned about use on motorcycles. One rule of thumb I've read and believe is that if a product is strong enough to really be spray-on/hose-off, it's probably too strong. I use Griot's Garage wheel cleaner and a soft sponge.
I use Griot's also. It is really good stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts