Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dropped off my down pipes to be ceramic coated today,and was impressed with the choice of color you have.

I have always liked that blacked-out Rat look and went with a flat black. I also had my engine covers ,and head light bucket powder coated to match.

And then I stumbled across this slick new item from NB.
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/lcf_carb_cap.html

This little item sums up what I am shooting for. Black&Silver accents.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My theme is "wait until all your parts show up" and then it will be "wait till you have the money to get the paint done", and then it will be "rinse repeat".

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Those parts don't do anything for me and serve no purpose, sort of like most of the stuff on American Chopper. I could see them on a Speedmaster, but not a Thrux or TBS.

For me, the cafe "theme" is to reduce weight, increase performance, and make more aerodynamic. Those parts don't fit any of the above categories.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Theme?

Theme for my Thruxton?

I figure once I get rid of the shocks and weld it up as a hard tail, I'm going to go ahead and do a sprung seat. Then I'm going to paint the wheels red with Krylon, get a set of apehangers, and a long pair of dualie fishtails. Then come the Maltese cross mirrors. I probably won't get the jockey shifter done until next year. Oh, and half moon floorboards -- got to have those! Does anyone know where I can get a set of wide whites that'll fit a Thruxton?;)

Um, I think my theme is "British cafe racer."

·
Registered
709 Posts
American Chopper? I wouldn't let those clowns do a tuneup on an anvil. They only have two tools, hammer and grinder. I strongly suspect that Russ Mitchell had them in mind when he mentioned "custom" bikes that "look like a Tart's handbag."
My theme? "Nothing There but Motorcycle."
Redhawk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can't stand the show or the bikes...not really what I was getting at
Don't let em jack with you Red. I don't have a theme per say but motorcycle customizing is a individual expression. Have fun with it and don't let anyone put you in a box. My bike by some peoples impression is crap but I like it ....it is a Childish play toy and no more. And I accept that. They on the other hand are welcome to not include me in there important lives. :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I strongly suspect that Russ Mitchell had them in mind when he mentioned "custom" bikes that "look like a Tart's handbag."
Redhawk
That's funny - I can remember Mitchell's scooters from the early 80s in west country England. I chopped and painted matt black, or hammerite (too predictable I know).

Here's one of Russ Mitchell's Lambrettas (about 1983-4 I reckon). like he's one to start flinging accusations of 'tart's handbags'!!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
"Here's one of Russ Mitchell's Lambrettas "
Guy, you may be right, but don't you think that scooter might be just a bit tongue in cheek? I mean, how would you go about doing an "Old Skool" Lambretta?
Best,
Redhawk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nah - I don't think it was tongue in cheek. At that time the scooter scene was trying to get away from its mod image. There were scooter-skins, scooter-boys, psychobillies, scooter-punks and an industry was growing up to customise the scooters. It inevitably moved away from the 'nice paint job and rideable' (England' Glory, Time Trouble and Money were memorable scooters from the time) and into the arena of very expensive show bikes that were plated, engraved (Don Blocksbridge?), diamond studded (yup), muralled... It knew no end! Russ made some lovely scooters (engineering wise) but as soon as the paint went on it all went **** up. There was another Exile before this - gun-metal grey, minimal plating on the engine, lower, rideable. That was a tasty scooter.
As for 'old school' or 'skool' - whatever it is. This would have fitted that definition twenty years ago.

and this would probably count as that now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts