Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

What's the smell of burning rubber

23K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  RampantParanoia 
#1 ·
Hi All

Two nights ago I was riding home in traffic up to 30mph the dark through the rain and noticed this smell of burning rubber following me. It was still there when I got home. I'm sure it was coming from the bike.

I've had a good look and run the engine in the garage today. The fan is coming on ok; nothing stuck under the hugger; no smoke; nothing obvious. I didn't ride it and the smell wasn't there, although as I say I didn't ride it.

There's only 3000 miles on the bike. Everything is adjusted well. Oil is topped up.... Don't know where else to look.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I would check your exhaust system. You could have picked up a plastic bag or something, and not even noticed it. If its been burning on your headers, you should see some residue. Clean it off and your good to go. If its not on your exhaust...you could have some electrical problems. Your exhaust is the only thing designed on your bike to get hot enough to burn something.

#10 ·
Funny you mentioned that:

Yes...it happened to me too. I pulled over in a parking lot and the smell was coming from the front of the headers. Just road grime.
I checked the bike over for about 15 minutes before I got back on. I even checked the electrical wiring. Road grime is all it was. Also, I have noticed if I ride when it's wet out, the smell sometimes returns.

#13 ·
Thanks

It's my first chance to log on since I posted this question. I wanted to thank everyone who replied.

The bike hasn't burned down...there was nothing stuck to the pipes, the clutch is OK and so far the smell has not returned. I put it down to the rain reaction thing as some of you suggested OR melting back tire, since I have a big groove in my rear tire where something must have got caught between it and the hugger.

Thanks again.

#14 ·
Well, think about this...as tires wear down, where do all the little bits of rubber go? I mean unless you are Willie, then they are stuck to your fender and shock...

Little molecules of rubber in the water, which sprays of on your hot pipes ( along with oil and whatever other grime is on the road ) and cooks to your pipe.

Just got back from a 200 mile drive in the van ( motorcycles are NOT an option today, although 100 miles of it was on good motorcycle road )in the snow and it smells just like burned rubber...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.