Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
My pattern has been to get rid of my motorcycles at 10 years or 100,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

·
Registered
225 Posts
17 years. Bought a BMW R 80 in 1987 then sold it in 2004 to buy an R 1100 RT. Wish I still had the R80!
Foxy

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Still own a 750 Honda that I race back in 1976. It's sitting in the back of a family owned Honda dealership. One of these days I'll take a trip back there and trailer it out here to California. It's not run or been started for probably well over 30 years. Been sitting in a parts store room all this time. It's in a Rickman frame with aluminum wheels, Dunstall clip ons, Winning Performance 4 into 1 header, full race faring, (no headlight or battery), all the body work a bright orange. I think it was orgninally a 71 model year that someone had totaled out. No title on the bike or ever been registered since it was salvaged back in 72. Don't know what it would take to get it registered and titled out here in California. It would be difficult I think. It would probably only be good for track days, but don't have much interest in that with a bike that old. I've got a modern 500 and 600 for that anyway.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Still have my 1st bike I bought in 2005, a 2002 VROD, it has 132,000 miles on it now... (7200 when I bought it). Proof that you should buy the bike you Love not a Beginner bike as I have yet to find a bike I like more to replace it with, so I just replace the 2nd bikes every few years...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
'86 Suzuki ls 650 bought new in '86. Still at dad's,ran when I stored it in '97.
My brother took the battery,and my father borrowed the risers,and mirrors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Had a Trophy 1200 for 14 years
Went for a ride a few months ago with a old feller (90) he was on the bike he raced the year I was born 1957 so he's owned that one for almost 60 years, and still rides it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I had my 05 T100 was for 5 yrs, then it was totaled. Now my 08 T100 is going on its sixth year with no end in sight. I normally don't keep bikes much over 2-3 yrs. But damn I love this bike.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I still have two Buells I purchased 10 years ago - an 06 Ulysses and a 98 S1.
Something got into me and I did a big bike clear-out a few years back which was a mistake so those are the old timers.
I wish I had kept them all but oh well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Longest was my first bike, a '92 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II I kept almost 13 Years. Except for a crappy headlight and less-than inspiring brakes I loved that bike - 48-52 mpg's in around town and 58-62 mpg's in back road cruising. Original battery lasted 12 years. Really liked that bike.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I have the 1970 Bonneville that I bought used back in 73 or 74, cant remember. It doesn't run anymore, hasn't ran in 30 plus years but unless I get hard up for $ I doubt I'll ever sell it.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Haggis,
That's a tough question to answer.
I do 500 miles/week commuting on the Tiger, I use the Sprints on the weekend and after work.
The RS is more fun in the corners and at speed but the vibration kills my right hand after a bit, the wind buffeting is still an issue for me on the Tiger but it's a better bike when you get stuck behind slow moving traffic as it's in a lower state of tune and it doesn't mind just poking along.

I guess I'd say the RS as it's small, light and fast but the Tiger is more practical for everyday use and is the one that will rack up all the miles.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Bonneville - now some eight years. Heretofore, I have never kept anything even beyond three years. I used to get bored a bit too easily, but I'm getting much better about it these days, trying to find the keepers.

I rode it to work today, and was reminded why I'll try and keep the damn thing forever.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Still own a 750 Honda that I race back in 1976. <snip> It would probably only be good for track days, but don't have much interest in that with a bike that old. I've got a modern 500 and 600 for that anyway.
Sounds like a good AHRMA bike to me. As a 71 w/ race frame, it would slot right in to the Formula 750 class. Besides, there's nothing like taking your vintage bike - or modern triumph twin for that matter - out on a track day and chasing down moderns...change of pace from the norm.

Cheers,

--Rich

p.s. - I still have a '54 R25/3 that I've owned since '96...my thruxton and honda race bike both came to me in '06. Most everything else has had a 4 or 5 year 'sell by' date.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 2001 Bonnie which I bought in March of 2001. Going on 16 years. This has been a trouble free motorbike.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts