Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is playing on my mind and I really don't want to make a costly mistake...
I've just removed the AI. Couldn't get a spanner around the chrome tube so I cut it with a Dremel tool to fit a socket to it instead. As I was cutting the tube, the cutting disc broke up. I found most of the pieces of the broken disc around the outside of the hole but I suppose there is a small possibility that a tiny piece of cutting disc fell into the AI hole.
Am I right in thinking this could have catastrophic consequences?
Do I cross my fingers and hope everything will be fine, or remove the cylinder head to check for foreign bodies?
Incidentally, is removing the head a big job? Can it be done with the engine still in frame?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
should have used a pair of Channel grips to twist them out. when you cut tube the hexagon stub would have still been screwed into the head so unlikely pieces would have fallen in. maybe you can remove a spark plug as well and with a led light on a probe have a look in there like what doctors use for examining nasal cavities etc.

guess it depends. do you feel lucky or not

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is playing on my mind and I really don't want to make a costly mistake...
I've just removed the AI. Couldn't get a spanner around the chrome tube so I cut it with a Dremel tool to fit a socket to it instead. As I was cutting the tube, the cutting disc broke up. I found most of the pieces of the broken disc around the outside of the hole but I suppose there is a small possibility that a tiny piece of cutting disc fell into the AI hole.
Am I right in thinking this could have catastrophic consequences?
Do I cross my fingers and hope everything will be fine, or remove the cylinder head to check for foreign bodies?
Incidentally, is removing the head a big job? Can it be done with the engine still in frame?

Don't remove the head... just go ahead and pull the AI plug and the spark plug... then get a vacuum and attach a piece of tubing that will fit down the plug holes and vacuum the cylinder out really well...

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Unlike the spark plug hole, the AI hole doesn't go into the combustion chamber but to a cavity downstream of the exhaust port. Any debris in there will most likely get blown out of the exhaust in no time.

AI tubes can be unscrewed with an ordinary 13mm offset ring wrench, I don't understand all this cutting, twisting and flattening of tubes that we keep hearing about.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
As Dr. F said, the first time you fire it up, any pieces that went down that rabbit hole will be expelled. SO relax and have a beer, you are safe. I too wonder why the removal was so difficult. Guess it pays to have the right tools.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I was able to just use the closed end of a regular old combination wrench. Slipped over the tube.

But anyway, it looks like the crisis was averted. That's the good news.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unlike the spark plug hole, the AI hole doesn't go into the combustion chamber but to a cavity downstream of the exhaust port. Any debris in there will most likely get blown out of the exhaust in no time.
Brilliant, that's what I hoped! I guessed it would be after the exhaust valve but just looks way too close for comfort.

Couldn't get a secure enough fit with a normal spanner, didn't have an offset spanner. (Adds to Christmas list)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts