Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes I have an anti rust - preventative maintenance question. I'm taking one of my vintage bikes, either my '68 Lambretta or my '70 Tiger, to the beach for a while and am a little concerned about the briny sea air making whichever one I take get a little rusty. You guys have any suggestions to help prevent rust on the body work resulting from being close to the ocean air?

I was thinking about spraying the Lambretta's undercarriage with WD-40 every few days if I take that one (most likely).

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Salt is active when it is wet. The problem with coastal areas is the combination of salt and humidity. It keeps the salt active. Factor in the elevated temps (for every 10 deg F a chemical reaction doubles in effect) and you have a perfect environment for dissolving metal. If you spray with WD-40 you presumably displace the moisture so the salt should not be as active as it could be. You are going to get salt on everything because salt is all over the roads as well.

When you get back from your trip, I would give the scoot a very wet washing, perhaps even using a pressure washer to make sure you have all the salt dust out of the nooks and crannies.

You should also put a couple coats of wax on the paint as well because salt can get in thru the pores in the paint and work on the metal underneath. Sealing those pores with wax will help prevent that.

My friend took his old Harley to bike week at Daytona few years back. He failed to wash it when he got back. It did a number on the aluminum and chrome bits.
I suggest you buy a beater down there and sell it when you leave.
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
396 Posts
fwiw, I found a protectant at a local Car Quest auto parts store that works great. It's called "Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor - Extended corrosion protection - seals out moisture, resists salt spray".

The can I have in front of me is made by some company called CRC.

It smells - and works - exactly like the corrosion preventative we used on helicopters on board aircraft carriers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ahhh, the smell of CPC, jet fuel, steam, and salt air on a pitching and rolling deck. Something one seldom forgets.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
I would spray all those awkward bits with waxoil. it rust inhibits for years.
I use a mixture of old engine oil and petrol to spray farm machinery that lives outside all winter.. just means the first couple of hay bales come out black :) Use a parafin gun to spray with.

I guess if you're picky, petrol and grease mix would look cleaner untl the dust etc settled. The trick is not to let damp or salt touch any unprotected metalwork, the methods above do that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys, thanks for all the tips, I'm only going for a month so I guess wd-40 would be sufficient protection. I'd be spraying painted sheet metal and painted frame tubing/beams, mainly the undercarriage of the scoot. I'm pretty sure wd-40 won't hurt painted finishes. Gas/oil might harm the paint I'm guessing. I couldn't find any stores selling the crc anti corrosion stuff near me. I did find one store selling permatex rust preventor spray, but it's a thin black undercoating, I want something that is dry to the touch (sand won't stick to) and that leaves a transparent rust inhbiting film, wd-40 I'm guessing should work. I think I'll genorously wax the exposed bodywork and spray wd-40 on the undercarriage. When I get back, after a month, I'll give it a good wash using S100 motorcycle wash and then rewax and respray with wd-40 underneath. Do you guys think putting a cover on it when not in use makes any difference?

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi Gleamin Twin,

The anti-scooterist in me tells you to take the Lambretta, do nothing to it and then dump it in the sea when you're finished with it! (only joking :))

I think the WD40 should work OK, I've been using it for years to clean my 94 Speed Triple (Engine, wheels, frame, etc) as everything is matt black and still after more than 30k miles in all weathers (I use it all year round) and very little washing it still looks like new. The added bonus is all my fasteners come undone really easily :)

If you use a cover, make sure it's breathable, very often the condensation caused by a traditional plastic cover can do more harm than good. Also make sure you wash the bike often and reapply more WD. after each wash.

Enjoy your vacation

Webby

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Cover

If the bike is going to be under roof, then a light "breathable" cover will work. Otherwise it will trap salty moist air under! WD will work. Mcguires makes a detail clear spray that I use on my Bonne (I live on the ocean). It wipes on clear & stays that way .Salt air will kill theses bikes in a New York Minute!! Its a constant uphill battle w/ me. I rent a garage for O/N storage over time for that reason. 04 & still lookin pretty good! My scoot is all plastic & alum so I dont care much about that- a tool to get to the garage where the Bonne is kept! Alongas it runs good ( IT DOES) the rest isnt much worry. Hey enjoy the VACA!! Wish I could get one & head north!!! O well?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I would not waste my time with a cover. An old bed sheet and a few bungees to keep it in place should let it breath and keep the sun away from it. When you get home, toss the bed sheet.
regards,
Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts