Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting one as a, ahem, fourth bike. I can't spend that much, though. What's the best Classic to look for used? Either a triple or a twin would do.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
This is probably the best forum to answer that question, if you had posted on the Twin Talk Forum or Classic Triples you would have had one-eyed answers.

I will give you the benefit of both eyes on here - Triumph Thunderbird 900 Triple 1998 Black/Red.

-----------------
Ride on ! :D

·
29,947 Posts
One that you like, has low miles and a low price, that has been well maintained and lovingly cherished.

Stay away from my local dealer, they don't have any lovely used bikes on the floor, especially not a thunderbird that I'm eyeing up and want to buy, honest.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have a Bonneville and I recommend it. But from what I have read and seen, I'd love to check out an old Thunderbird Sport. I think they are cheap for what you are getting, are fast and they look cool.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
In a word: Bonneville. In two words: Bonneville T100. The Bonnies are the only Triumphs with any claim to a classic heritage. Even though it's a thoroughly modern bike, it still has the right bloodlines. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
........ The Bonnies are the only Triumphs with any claim to a classic heritage. .........

If I remember correctly they were called Bonnevilles after they started setting speed records on the Salt Flats, prior to that they were called Thunderbirds !

...we could discuss this for hours but the triple Thunderbirds today have their heritage in the original Meriden Tridents !

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
If I remember correctly they were called Bonnevilles after they started setting speed records on the Salt Flats, prior to that they were called Thunderbirds !

...we could discuss this for hours but the triple Thunderbirds today have their heritage in the original Meriden Tridents !

--------------
Ride on ! :)
Actually, all the first generation T300 have their roots in Meriden. The Meriden Co-op was working on liquid cooled bikes before the collapse in 1983. BLoor and Co. took those designs, reviewed and then decided to go with all new triples and four cylinder. So I'd say the T300 were inspired by work done at Meriden, while the Bonneville is an all new design. Aside from a twin cylinder air cooled engine, it really shares nothing from Meriden. Even the crank has been rephased on half of the models! 270 deg crank? Yuck...

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I agree with the Thunderbird 3, a riding buddy has a yellow one, but wasn't the original Trident a derivative of the BSA Rocket three?

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
JAMO What's in your stable now? This might also effect your decision. Maybe you should get a real classic Triumph.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The mid cam'd T300 engine seem to be the best, those having at least 9700 as the rev limit. The S3, which is a naked Daytona being lighter comes in 2 versions - I prefer the six speed box of the 96. It's probably the best handling bike in it's stable - being lighter helps and it's also the coolest looking of all, in any colour. Though a naked 4 cyl would be fun with fcrs. Carbs rule!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yeah but even the Sport is still a restricted S3 or Daytona, without the handling and a reduced rev limit it pales in comparison - sorry! The S3 is only 92ish at rear, the stock super 3 perhaps 97rwhp - thats all you get stock. Compare that to later equivalents fine but at the time that was it - the Sport was maybe 78 rwhp, Tiger range!:)

·
29,947 Posts
Well I love my Bonneville, it really is great fun to ride. I would recommend one.

However, I keep eyeing up a thunderbird that my dealer has on the floor - and I reaaaaaaaaaaaally like it a lot. If I get the Bonnie paid off before they sell it (touch and go) I might see if I can find a way to add that to the stable.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JAMO What's in your stable now? This might also effect your decision. Maybe you should get a real classic Triumph.

You know, I appreciate your asking. It gives me a chance to yak.

I have a T. Tiger, a 2005, which I simply adore, but it is getting a little old. On the other hand, it's such a great ride that I don't think anything could replace it.

I have a Kawi Vulcan 2000, which I also lovce and a new ZX-10R, which I haven't ridden yet. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to spring.

But as for classic Triumphs, I would love one. The interesting thing is that the dealer where I'm going to be picking up my ZX-10R also has a classic motorcycle collection and will consider selling. Among the beauties he has is a like new 1969(70?) Bonneville (2500 orig. miles) and like new similar Norton. Don't think I'd turn up my nose at those.

What do you think?

I'd also love to hear about a rebuilt classic Bonne or other classic for sale. What I cannot use, though, is a project bike.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mid cam'd T300 engine seem to be the best, those having at least 9700 as the rev limit. The S3, which is a naked Daytona being lighter comes in 2 versions - I prefer the six speed box of the 96. It's probably the best handling bike in it's stable - being lighter helps and it's also the coolest looking of all, in any colour. Though a naked 4 cyl would be fun with fcrs. Carbs rule!

This is a little confusing to me. What bike has the T300 engine? Is that the Speed Triple, you mean, instead of the Adventure or Sport that has a mild cammed engine?

The early S3, meaning the Speed Triple, I've always liked, but it isn't a modern Hinkley classic, is it?

And what about those real classics I mentioned? How much do you think they're worth?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts