Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning to do some front end work shortly and in getting all the bits together I’ve really struggled to source the box spanner for the front brake plate nut, the size is 1″1/8 AF and the part number is 61-6062. Draganfly are ordering one in for me but neither TMS nor Burton Bike Bits can get hold of them anymore. E-Bay has a couple of sources but they’re in the US, none in the UK unless I go for a generic box spanner of the right size. Could I have done that or do I really need this particular tool?

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
I am not sure, but think that there's nothing special. I have loads of old box spanners that were an uncle's. He was an RAF fitter. Plus several that I have bought. None were triumph tools

B and q/ toolstation/ screwfix or Amazon should be ok.

The only one I would worry about would be the gearbox one which is big and has to be deep
Either way, £10 to get one quickly is an easy bet

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Personal opinion

Any socket that will fit will do the job. It's not like we are talking about a special tool such as a clutch hub puller.

As an aside factory tool 60-1815 can be used in place of 61-6062

K

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chris, IME, that nut isn't very tight and anything that fits will do the job. IIRC it's too far down the spindle for a normal socket, and I don't have a 1-1/8 ring, so I must have used an open ended spanner!

But that 1-1/8 box will fit a few other big nuts when you get that 750, so it'll not be wasted. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Rusty,
I just bought a long 1-1/8th" AF box spanner from Amazon. You'll also need a decent tommy bar unless its of the type that has a 1/2" square drive mounting in the end (wish now I'd got one like that!) The thing to remember is that you will need to hold the axle tightly while you either undo or torque up the nut. Some folks have suggested clamping the left hand end of the axle in the right hand fork leg clamp while you work on the nut. I have worked on mine with the wheel completely out and used a big old machine vice and some scraps of aluminium as soft jaws to hold the axle still. If using a tommy bar you'll need to flog it with a sharp blow from a mallet to tighten it enough so that it does not work loose.
Have fun!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
i made mine - cut a regular 1/2 inch socket in two - seperated the parts with a section of tube and welded it together - job done - long socket -- made it years ago after spending my youth butchering the nuts with a hammer and screwdriver

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi Rusty, Did you already order the socket? Try searching for electric water heater element socket.

For us in USA I get my big wrenches from Oreilly's auto parts. Very good prices. None have broken. Here's the one I have.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/power-torque-tools-4691/tools---equipment-16488/hand-tools-16814/sockets-25357/bbff8604ac1f/power-torque-1-1-8-inch-socket-1-2-inch-drive-deep-6-point/gm8311/4677669?q=1-1/8+socket&pos=0

On an aside I find the nut can tend to work loose as backing plate moves on fork tab. I find if you shim fork tab with sheet metal, (feeler gauge blade works & is hard) to the tightest you can get in, it reduces play & the nut stays tight better.

Don

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi Rusty, That's how a water heater element socket is made. No problems actually, they work fine. They tend to be well strong enough for the axle nut. I just use a fat screwdriver for a tommy bar.

If you should ever need a gear box sprocket socket, this "water heater" type is often sold. Not so good for sprocket nut. I most strongly recommend getting a real 1/2" drive deep socket for sprocket nut. Those can be very tight, but most importantly it allows use of a torque wrench so tightening nut isn't a crap shoot of feel. It also allows use of impact gun to remove nut if you have impact gun.

In USA the made in China deep sockets on Ebay are cheap & work well. I don't know if those types of tools are cheap to bring into UK though. I've bought several tools, taps, dies from China direct, free shipping. Quality is a crap shoot, but most the stuff works very well, or at least good enough. I got 1/4 BSP tap & die for like $5 free shipping from China, for my fuel tank bungs. Worked good. I didn't really think they'd actually show up. 1.5 weeks later, in the mail box. Everything has actually shown up every time.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts