·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,049 Posts
At the peak of the market a few years back, it would have fetched $5,000. I've seen bikes that nice (and nicer), not get sold with $2,500 pricetags in the last year or two...

e-bay is probably your best bet. Keyboard (eastern U.S) and J.C. Motors (western U.S.) are $650 - $800 to ship a bike, so that plays in...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, haven't seen that yet and i thought market was still strong. I've never seen an unrestored tiger or bonneville for less than $3700.00 on craigslist but thanks. A couple sold on eBay for 6k this summer and one didn't meet reserve at 4800 last week. I wouldn't sell below $4500 so maybe I'll wait until next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
winter is always the worst time to sell and the best to buy.

You'd probably get 25% more for a bike when the sun is out, as the prospective rider is optimistic

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I agree with Dave - the looming threat of winter certainly makes me feel much less enthusiastic about riding my bike, so it must also make many prospective buyers feel far less enthusiastic about buying one - unless it happens to be just what they've always wanted or an irresistible bargain!

On ebay here in UK I have noticed prices falling over the past several weeks. A number of very nice T140s/TR7s have gone for just over £3000 or failed to reach reserves at around that. Earlier in the year they'd have got a fair bit more. Maybe its the general economic situation as well as the weather?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I think 4200 is fair as well. I guess I was just feeling the market out by setting a high reserve. I really don't want to sell it but I want to ride more and in all weather conditions to a point so was looking at getting a sprint st. I'm going to fix the oil leak and sell next spring. Thanks again-

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
For the price you're asking you wold be better off fixing the leak and carb. vs. stating the bike has (not to you) potential problems.
ed

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Although Baxter is my dealer, I do think they ask too much for their old bikes. They do manage to sell them at their prices though.

Kem

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
Certainly in the UK, dunno about the US, dealers /traders have responsibilities under the law and so have to make a decent mark up.

They can advertise at a high price, but that doesn't mean that the buyer is paying the full price after negotiations.

The private seller advertises at one price, the dealer hopes to buy that bike at a lower price. The dealer then sells it on at a higher price than the original seller wanted, after advertising it at 10-20% more, so the new buyer feels he got a good deal

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ebay completed listing for 73 Triumph

A useful tool is to check the completed listings on Ebay. On a 73 750, no bike sold that had a reserve price of over $4000. Most bids reached 2/3 of the asking price. Bobbers and choppers draw little interest on Ebay or my local CL. I view them as parts bikes. A nice 73 TR7 in Burbank drew a high bid of $4800. I think prices are higher in milder climates. Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts