Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 2011 Bonnie its coming up on its 1st service between 500 and 800 miles, the dealer whats 250 to do the work which only takes and hour and a half, even though I am fairly new to bikes I am not new to maintence and repairing, what is involved in the 1st service? I don't have a service manual for it yet, I also don't wanna void her warranty either, I mean bikes aren't that hard to maintain so do you think I should let them do the first service and do the rest from them on or just do it my self.
Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything similar
Any and all comments would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
My bike is a carbed model but, pretty much they change the break-in oil and make sure that everything is still working properly; clutch, brakes, chain is still tight, all the lights work, and so on.

There may be a few more things that I have left out and maybe more is involved with EFI models, I don't know.

I'm sure that they have some 57 point check list and a minimum charge rate for these things which, in reality means nothing as to really what needs to be done.

To keep the bike under the protection of the warranty, I advise that you let them do it.

I know, it's a ton of money for basically nothing that you cannot mostly do yourself.

I know what that feels like.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you're comfortable with basic wrenches, do it yourself. You need to know how to work on your bike and this service is as simple as it gets. It will not void any warranty if you do your work yourself. Just make sure you document what you did in your maintenance manual and keep the receipts for oil/filter. It is really just and oil change and and a glorified pre-ride check.

·
Banned
144 Posts
If you do it yourself...KEEP THE RECEIPTS!
The service is changing out the factory oil, checking that all is working and wrenching down (checking) every bolt that you can. I did my own & it cost me 5 quarts of oil and a new oil filter.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Just to be clear, the engine takes about 3.8 quarts for an oil and filter change; don't even think about dumping 5 quarts in it!

I think that the service intervals are detailed in the owner's manual, have a look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had my first service done on my 2011 speedmaster and was impressed with the service..a little more than an oil change and chain lube...mine was hooked up to a laptop to balance the throttle bodies and confirm proper idle setting...not sure if this was part of the service or in response to an occasional stall complaint but she runs like a dream now..the first service might be worth it from the dealer and future routine service done on your own..my 2 cents

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah... i have mine booked in too... next tuesday... they quoted me $220... i hate the idea of paying for crap, but i'll get them to do this, get them to stamp the book...

When i picked up the bike, it was greatly over filled with oil so i had to drop over half a litre out of it...
It has a whining howling noise coming from the rear and they've already told me its not going to change...

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
When i picked up the bike, it was greatly over filled with oil so i had to drop over half a litre out of it...
It has a whining howling noise coming from the rear and they've already told me its not going to change...
Brilliant!!. Another successful service provided by your highly skilled professional...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts