Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The more I play this website posting game, the more I wonder what inspires peoples' choice of Handle and Avatar. Some are reasonably obvious, there is an incorporation of name and DOB, but how, for instance, do you get Gob-ny-geay? Does Santalum have a passion for sandalwood? I guess Propforward played rugby? What's special about Lefty's arm? Roxy apparently is a horse, but what's in the "noodle"? What is Welsh about Rob? I could go on and on.

Then there are avatars which are more random, but why did you choose yours?

I am Boldor (wish I'd capitalised the "B" when I signed up) because it is the bike I have spent most time on - by far - and owned four of them. It seems only Australian bikies commonly used the name for the CB DOHC's and is therefore commonly available to use on websites. I am Boldor elsewhere too.

I am a bit of an avatar s1ut, I change my pic reasonable frequently. I found my little Porcupine (or Echidna) on the web, thought he was just the right balance of cute/funny/conceited and the blue stands out to my colour vision when tracking my posts.

What's your story?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
In '99 I was trying to come up with an email and everything I could think of was taken so I merely started plugged in word combinations units I found one. Oddly enough I also had a more professional email addy that was just my name.

When I set up my account here I just used it. I'd probably change it to something more apropritate if I knew how.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Prop, I'll accept the offer. What is the red arrow on your smilie face? I looks like blood is dripping off it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yes, Roxy is one of my horses. One day she was being silly and I called her Roxy Noodlehead. That turned into Roxynoodlehorse. I knew she liked it because she squealed and kicked up her heels. When I needed a user name I used it, being pretty certain it wouldn't be taken, and it wasn't. I eventually just shortened it to roxynoodle, and have been that ever since. So, yes, it is my horse's alter ego:D

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Leftarmlogan is a name is chose years ago. Basically, I needed a user name for something (I can't remember what) and everything I chose that was related to my name (which isn't Logan) was already taken. So I thought up Leftarmlogan as the most random thing I could think of and it worked. Now I use it for everything. I, too, wish I capitalized my name when I signed up.

As for my avatar, well...it's Beavis and Butthead playing hockey. I mean, life doesn't get awesomer than that. I am also an avid avatar changer. I have another awesome avatar waiting in the wings to take the place of Beavis and Butthead and it's also hockey-related.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I once knew a family whose surname ended with "bo". They were always quick to remind everybody that it was actually of aristocratic derivation and that it used to be spelled "beaux".
Johnny Carson used to have a character named "Floyd Turbo" who seemed to be a bit of a simpleton so I bastardized it into the moniker I use today "Clyde Turbeaux".
It seemed to be just the right mix of pomposity and stupidity which define my persona.
My avatar is of Gonzo the Great crashing a twin through a brick wall.

Go figure...

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Gob ny whatsisname is a corner on the IoM TT course. I've met Rob & I can confirm that he is indeed a Taff. I'm Old Scratcher coz I ain't young, & I itch a lot (actually it's a reference to peg scratching)

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at that!

Now I am Boldor, I know what/where Gob-ny-Geay is, I have learnt about a DC character I did not know of and I know that Roxy understands what is being said to her.

I've never even seen a game of ice hockey live, despite having a Canadian SIL. All our hockey is played on grass, not stoned, but on the field. I have won and lost thousands on ice hockey when a mate and I were trying to work out a "system". We thought we were onto something, I was up $5K and my mate $15K!!; then we lost it all in 2 weeks. I got out while I was even.

I guess there is no such thing as a BucketMonkey but I did have a Barrel of Monkeys when I was five.

What's your story Jonkster? I am always tempted to write Jonksta or Jonk. It is almost mandatory that your name is abbreviated over here, but you'd know that. It's half the reason I want to know what any of the names mean so that I can abbreviate without offending.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
I'm only guessing, but I'd say that Bucket Monkey likes to use his bucket in unconventional/illegal* ways.:rolleyes:
Legal disclaimer: Very sorry if I've pegged you wrong BM.:D

* Unless you live in California & have a medical exemption.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
What's your story Jonkster?
wish I had a cool story but don't.

Most people abbreviate my first name to Jon (from Jonathan) and Jonk was a login name I was given at a place I worked at when I first came back to Sydney (policy was first name + first letter of surname).

I ended up being referred more to as jonk than my real name.

Some people started lengthening it to 'the jonk' then 'the jonkster'. The name seems to have stuck.

I am always tempted to write Jonksta or Jonk. It is almost mandatory that your name is abbreviated over here, but you'd know that. It's half the reason I want to know what any of the names mean so that I can abbreviate without offending.
no worries here... J, Jonk, Junk, Jonkster, Junkster, Noj, Rag Balls, Moron etc I have been commonly referred to as any and all of these.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Just don't call him late for dinner.;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
+1 leftarmlogan!

My avatar is simple like my brain, British Racing Green Bird, short for Thunderbird of course. It's the best I can do...:)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Roxy is a very smart horse:) She can also undo any kind of latch and untie any kind of knot. She can count, but only up to 3. And even though she will soon be 16, she's still pretty silly. Upon meeting her I guarantee she will have your jacket unzipped and shoes untied before you know what's happening.

Yeah, these things also make her a giant PITA:D

I have a friend who insists she prefers retarded horses.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm only guessing, but I'd say that Bucket Monkey likes to use his bucket in unconventional [ways]
Do they call it a bucket anywhere else? We called it a Darth when I played that game because they are as lethal as Lord Vader.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts