Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an 06 sprint st 1050 only covered just over 2000 miles unsure what oil to use dealer states mobil semi 10w40 until 6000 miles then fully syn 15w50 recomends mobil i normally use silcoline fuschs oils only just got triumph as my other bikes where race bikes would it be advisable to use what dealer recomends or still ok to use silcoline fusces oils gratefull for your advise

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
HI crazybiker this is the most argued about subject on any forum and this one is no different.

For this reason I moved this thread back to the general Sprint forum.

The answer is any oil that meets the specification in the manual which means you have a lot of choices.

I would really urge you to do a search on this as there are more threads about oil than you could poke a stick at.;)

Personally I have used Motul for many years on many bikes and on my Sprint use the Motul Semi Synthetic 3100 Golt 15W 50 4T.

Dolson (Don) uses Silkolene.

We both get smooth gear changes from these oils which is the mark of a decent oil for a bike.

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I am generally quite fond of olive, though I use peanut, corn, & sesame for some things.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Kit, I can understand your liking for peanut oil as it is better for hi-heat applications especially considering what you've been through. You have to watch out for olive oil though. Mobil advertises theirs as "extra virgin" from Italy and charges a very high premium but this is pure BS as ALL olive oil comes from Corning, CA and is just repackaged. Myself now, I prefer Safflower oil for the low bad cholesterol level and its high in anti-oxidants.

Don

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Good call on the safflower, Don. I've been thinking of replacing the corn oil with that! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not good for the diet

I really don't think I could handle any vegetable oil. It's guaranteed to make the exhaust smell like MacDonalds and I'd end up forever searching for the next place to get more french fries and never end up where I thought I was going :D

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I really don't think I could handle any vegetable oil. It's guaranteed to make the exhaust smell like MacDonalds and I'd end up forever searching for the next place to get more french fries and never end up where I thought I was going :D
But hey! We must be Green here too. At oil changes this can be converted to Bio-diesel.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts