Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've gotten my loan approval at Cascade Motors in Beaverton, OR and the shop owner is buying my 2005 R1200RT. I've gotten over $1,000 worth of accessories ordered for my new 2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring(Black). Now I'm going crazy waiting for the parts to arrive & be put on the new bike. Only then can I make the deal complete & ride off on my new Rocket.

So, does anyone own a Rocket III? I've looked at all the UTube videos and read all thr online reviews. I've signed up for two Triumph Motorcycle Forums. What can you tell me about the bike?

I've owned a BMW K1200LTC, K100, R1200RT, R1200C.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The first thing you will notice, is the rocket transmission is not as silky smooth as a BMW, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. It will get better with miles, so do not worry about it, just ride. The power of this thing is brutal, so don't nail it in the lower gears, until you have some miles to get used to it. This bike will also make you lazy, not downshifting like you always have, because with the rocket, you do not have to always keep the rpm above 4000 to ride.

Have fun and send pictures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing you will notice, is the rocket transmission is not as silky smooth as a BMW, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. It will get better with miles, so do not worry about it, just ride. The power of this thing is brutal, so don't nail it in the lower gears, until you have some miles to get used to it. This bike will also make you lazy, not downshifting like you always have, because with the rocket, you do not have to always keep the rpm above 4000 to ride.

Have fun and send pictures.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll miss some of the goodies from my BMWs, like cruise control & anti-lock brakes. I'm setting myself up for retirement so this may be my last new bike purchase. I put a lot of miles on bikes each year and don't plan on changing that with the R3T. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
"So, does anyone own a Rocket III?"

In THIS forum??? :confused: Naaaw! We're all Harley fanatics here! :laughhard:

But seriously: There are tons and tons of posts in this forum about Rocket riding experiences. Knock yourself out.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Excuse our beloved moderator Diego, he gets to read and approve all the postings and was expecting a question about tire mileage or the ins and outs of car tire swaps. He loves those postings.

Coming from a much older BMW R90/6, I bet you will notice that your new Rocket has the same low center of gravity as your former rides. The brakes are really pretty good on the Rocket, and I welcome your comments as to what you miss from the ABS. The torque of the new bike will also be different and as previously mentioned you really don't have to downshift to add as much speed as required.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum!

Excuse our beloved moderator Diego, he gets to read and approve all the postings and was expecting a question about tire mileage or the ins and outs of car tire swaps. He loves those postings.

Coming from a much older BMW R90/6, I bet you will notice that your new Rocket has the same low center of gravity as your former rides. The brakes are really pretty good on the Rocket, and I welcome your comments as to what you miss from the ABS. The torque of the new bike will also be different and as previously mentioned you really don't have to downshift to add as much speed as required.
I'm a year Rounder & high mileage rider by nature. I own an old beat Mustang but live on my bikes, including grocery shopping. I can't wait to pull up to my local Fred Meyer and see the crowd gather around the bike.

I'm not addicted to speed and have a solo seat ordered on my list of goodies so cranking it isn't my style. I suspect I'll probably miss my cruise control the worst but am willing to live with just a wrist rest for the time being.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't have a Rocket yet either. I test rode a Standard and an Tourer a while back. Compared to my VStar and the VTX I have now, well there is no comparison. POWER AND TORQUE !! That's all there is to know. Well of course there's the tight handling, low center of gravity, looks, uniqueness, and so forth.

I can't wait to get my R3T.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you need cruise there are a few throttle locks avail. for around 100 bucks. Low tech and work just fine. Or, you can put a 1 1/4 by 3/16 neoprene washer between the bar end and weight and snug it up. Tha's what I do and it's fine and dandy!
I LOVE the power of my R3 but what I also like is that it's a low tech bike in several areas.
Most of my buds with electronic this and self adusting that have problems with them after a year or so. It's a real pain to track down half the time and often expensive to fix. I like the comment in Cycleworld a few issues back. They mentioned the the R3 is still a BIKE and not a minivan or Caddy on wheels-it's still a bike-just ride it-and i like that. No music, no fly by wire, no heated seat-just a motorcycle. Like none other!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought my R3T on 8/26/08 and rode about 7 miles and realized if I respected the h/p and torque that I could ride this bike now!!!I got on the interstate and rode as though I had riden it forever...just remember that the throttle works!!I bought a cramp buster($10) and use that on longer trips..a pleasure to ride,definetely easy to lug down and will respond with a twist...rode mine for 2 weeks till accessaries(engine gaurd,sissy bar/rack,light bar kit)came in...the most appreciated was the extra lighting!!Go pick up that bike and get some miles on waiting for the extras!!!You will be glad you adhered to this advice!!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I'll miss some of the goodies from my BMWs, like cruise control & anti-lock brakes.
You Beemer guys and your anti-lock brakes...One of the reasons i bought the Rocket was to keep up with my older beemer friends. The RK wasn't cutting it. Now they can't keep up with me..lol. I know most of them are affraid of the beast so they use the excuse "IF IT HAD ABS I'D CONSIDER IT".. I'm pretty sure the 2009..RT3 is giving it's riders that option. http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/o1_770_Road-Test---2008-Triumph-Rocket-III-Touring-world-launch-Rocket-alert-in-Texas-.html

·
Registered
690 Posts
Buy it, hang on tight, and twist the throttle.
Don't worry about the smile, it doesn't go away, but you learn to live with it.:) Oh yea, there's a '03 harley sittin beside it , but I only ride the rock. The wife now rides the H-D when it get ridden. No comparisson, and no going back, hense my handle on six Triumph sites. have fun,
XHDskip

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As of one hour ago I'm no longer "a Beemer guy". I signed over the R1200RT for my brand new 2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring. It may take two weeks for my goodies to arrive and get installed on the new R3T. My best friend even bought me an official Triumph baseball hat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats Bob. The R3T is a great ride - versatile and quite manuverable as well - I just added the TORs and wow - the power is something that I really cannot describe in words...

Thought for the day - if all Rocket captains downshifted to 1st at the same time would that measure on the Richter scale?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts